New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Theft Prevention

Okay folks here is my question - What suggestions do you have for me in order to keep my PC safe from thieves who break in and physically steal a computer?

I am concerned about it because my block has had 6+ break-ins this last month, of which I was one. I came home from dropping the kid off at school and they had smashed in my sliding glass door and took somethings, but according to police, it looked like something scared them off before they could get everything.

I now have an alarm system, but even with this alarm system, they now know exactly what I have and where it is located, so they would need less time to get the things. Another of my neighbors has had three repeated attempts at forced entry on her new front door, which she got to replace the one they had previously kicked in.

I just want my PC safe-ish and my data not to be able to be stolen.

Ideas would be great.

I kind of remember using a dumb terminal style connection years ago on a central server, but I don't think that this method would work for a home system, but I like the method, where the tower is in a secure spot and you only get on the 'network' via a screen, keyboard, mouse, dumb terminal and possible a dvd/cd drive.

<sigh> So frustrating, makes me want to dip them in boiling whale oil. :-) No..., just have them get arrested and placed in jail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think your best bet is to encrypt the hard drive with something like TrueCrypt, and make very frequent images, and separate backups of your data. Store these backups off site in a secure location.
    Chuck

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rudereddog View Post

Ideas would be great.

L.
    "RRD"

Hello... There is a way to use "Password protection " of your HD ...I have never done this , but I'm sure that some "Loungers" have done so ... From what i can remember once you set up the HD password, there is no way around it... Even for you.( if you forget it) This is done at the time you boot up your OS ...You enter "BIOS Setup" ( <F10=Setup> on my PC) Might be different on yours...Once into BIOS, you will have to search through the "Screens" and select the appropriate one to set the HD password. I'll do a search and see if i can find some posts on this subject... and post back if i can find some Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    That is a very difficult one. The inner city is rapidly expanding into my area as well and we are also concerned. I guess Chuck's suggestion concerning encryption along with strong passwords on the PC would go a long way toward helping to protect your data. Having data password protected separately (I assume you are talking mostly about financial data) with a strong password would help as well.

Are we talking about a desktop or laptop? A laptop could be placed in a safe or other secure area in the home. This is somewhat of a pain but would be safer. It sounds as though you are talking of a desktop. I'm sure someone (unless you fell comfortable doing so yourself) could determine a way of afixing the PC to the surface it sits on. Can it be bolted to a floor (the case could be opened and screwes placed through the case directly into the floor) Again, a pain, but it makes it somewhat harder to walk away with it.

I hope some of these suggestions help to relieve your anxiety.

edit: I just checked this laptop and Fred's suggestion would work on this laptop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My computer is a desktop.

Doc, thank you, I will look at this software.

Thank you Ted.

Just Plain Fred, I look forward to your information.

RudeRedDog

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeRedDog View Post

Just Plain Fred, I look forward to your information.
    RRD,
    Hello...You can "Google" HD boot protection and find out much about BIOS and HD passwords here is a place to Start
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)