New Lounger
    Thanks

Add text before heading 1 in toc only

Hello Everyone,

i have a word document that is split into several sections. The body of the document is formatted like the below example:

1 STOP WORK POLICY STATEMENT (heading 1)

1.0 PURPOSE AND SCOPE (heading 2)

It is the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) policy of

So naturally my TOC formats like the following:

1 STOP WORK POLICY STATEMENT........... 3
    1.0 PURPOSE AND SCOPE........................... 3
    2.0 RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROCEDURES... 3

Is there a way to add the word Chapter before Heading 1 without changing the way it appears in the body of the document?

Example:

Body of document:

1 STOP WORK POLICY STATEMENT (heading 1)

1.0 PURPOSE AND SCOPE (heading 2)

It is the Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) policy of

TOC:

CHAPTER 1 STOP WORK POLICY STATEMENT........... 3
    1.0 PURPOSE AND SCOPE........................... 3
    2.0 RESPONSIBILITIES AND PROCEDURES... 3

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry this was accidently posted twice but here is what I was able to figure out:

I figured out a way to accomplish this. I created a new heading style that included the word CHAPTER and then an auto number. I place that above my Heading One style , which was 1 (TITLE name), and basically duplicated it. So both the newly created Heading style and Heading One style have identical text other than the word Chapter before the automatic number. Then I decreased the font on the new Heading that included the word Chapter and set the color to white so it would be hidden. I specified for my TOC to choose the new heading style as the first line and to omit Heading One style.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you found a method that works. There are other ways to accomplish the same result. For instance, rather than duplicating the heading and then "hiding" the second one by coloring the text white, you could use a TC code and add the wording you want. Here's how to do so:

Select the heading, then press the keys Alt Shift O (that's the letter O, not a zero).

When the Mark Table of Contents Entry dialog opens, only the text will appear (STOP WORK POLICY STATEMENT). Position the cursor to the left of the text and type "CHAPTER 1." (You will have to type the number as well as the word "CHAPTER.") Click "Mark" to insert the TC code.

Continue marking the other chapter headings in the same fashion.

When you're finished, go to the References tab, Table of Contents, and click Insert Table of Contents....

Click the "Options..." button.

Make sure that the boxes to the left of both "Styles" and "Table entry fields" are checked. But also:

Under "Styles," use the scroll bar and deselect (backspace over) Heading 1 and any other styles you don't want to appear in the TOC. Don't worry about deselecting the Heading 1 style; that merely prevents Word from duplicating the level 1 headings when you generate the TOC. As long as you check the box for "Table entry fields," the level 1 headings will appear in the generated TOC because you've used TC codes.

Turn off the display of the non-printing characters by either (a) pressing Ctrl Shift 8 (i.e., Ctrl *) or (b) clicking the paragraph symbol in the Paragraph group on the Home tab. Then generate the TOC.

These instructions assume you are using Word 2010. If not, let us know...

Hope this helps.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to janbphd For This Useful Post:

RVASQUEZ (2012-02-27)