Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

External HD works on one computer, not on another

1. I have a 6 month old Seagate external hard drive that has its own power source
    2. On a Windows 7 computer, every time I plug the drive in, the computer says that I need to scan and fix (or else skip that step). The scan never works, so I skip. There's a folder that it says is corrupted, contains zero data, and is inaccessible. When I try to unplug the USB device, it says another program is using it (all programs closed).
    3. In other folders that I am able to access, there are duplicate files. Delete one, and the other disappears as well.
    3. When I plug the same drive into an old XP computer, the drive works flawlessly.

I have tried all USB ports on the Windows 7 computer with the same outcome. I've also used those ports successfully for other USB peripherals. I have also deleted and reinstalled the USB drivers.

Do you all have any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge as a poster.

Have you tried to Right Click the icon for the drive and waiting until getting the message Safe to remove your device?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

tatumnolan (2012-02-24)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There could be an extra byte or two of data that W7 pays attention to that XP ignores and that is what is corrupt or there can be a data file index that becomes corrupt and XP ignores that unless you specifically run across that file and get an error.

You say the W7 system recognizes any other new USB device plugged into it for the first time, no problem?
    If so I would try wiping the drive and redoing the MBR and partitioning scheme (full format), if any, and copy the data back onto it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinicore For This Useful Post:

tatumnolan (2012-02-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: I tried that but achieved the same outcome. Thanks!
    Infinicore: The file i nquestion held about 50 xls documents. And yes, I haven't experienced any problems with other USB devices, including a different external HD without a power supply. I am just about resigned to your recommendation to rebuild the MBR. Never done it before. My needs are pretty basic; would you recommend a partition?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tatumnolan View Post
    1. I have a 6 month old Seagate external hard drive that has its own power source
    On a Windows 7 computer, every time I plug the drive in, the computer says that I need to scan and fix (or else skip that step).

Do you all have any other ideas? Thanks for your help!
    tatumnolan,
    Hello... Have you tried to look at Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management..When the drive is connected with the power on? If so what does "Disk Management" say about the Hard Drive?...Does it show up with a Drive letter and Healthy? Also How is it formatted ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I wonder if it's formated NTFS. I would probably transfer all data currently on it off it, format the whole drive to NTFS then transfer the data back on and try it again. I think infinicore may have it right, there is some corruption W7 sees that XP doesn't.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Fred and Ted:

The drive is formatted NTFS. Under disk management, it says:
    Layout: Simple
    Type: Basic
    File System: NTFS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The drive is formatted NTFS. Under disk management, it says:
    Layout: Simple
    Type: Basic
    File System: NTFS
    tatumnolan,
    Hello... Does it (The HD) have a drive letter associated with it as well ? ...If not "Right Click" on the HD, and select (Drive letter) from the drop down. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Infini, hello.
    You wrote : If so I would try wiping the drive and redoing the MBR

Where do you see an MBR on a USB HD ? I do not think that Tatum used it as a C:\ yet. ;-)

Wiping the HD is OK, a full format and reload would maybe save this HD. JP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I'm a little uncertain of what exactly happens to the MBR in a reformat when the partition itself is not altered, I like to arbitrarily write the MBR (for drives under 2.19 terabytes) before I partition and format again just to be sure.
    I can rewrite the MBR after deleting any partitions so its all unallocated space by right clicking on the little square disk number and type icon/button to the left of the graphic partition layout/unallocated space in Disk Management (in Windows 7; LINUX for XP systems). First I convert it to GPT disk and then back to MBR.
    Like I said, not sure I need to do this but I like to so I know for sure I'm starting out with a new MBR

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred. It's labeled Drive F.
    -Tatum

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred. It's labeled Drive F.
    -Tatum
    Tatum,
    Hello... What "Seagate" External Hard Drive do you have ? I have done some research and there are a few. We would need to know which one you have to help us understand what's going on. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, JPF. Can I ask you this question about a MBR. My understanding is that it is only created when installing an OS, reformatting a HD in a USB port would not do this ??? It would make up a FAT though ???

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello, JPF. Can I ask you this question about a MBR. My understanding is that it is only created when installing an OS, reformatting a HD in a USB port would not do this ??? It would make up a FAT though ???
    Hi Jean,
    Hello... All of my OS's do not have a separate small partition for MBR ( except my data drive has a 7.84 MB partition) have know idea what it's for ... As as far as i know ...whenever i have formatted any of my OS Hard Drive's..... It's all gone, MBR everything. Haven't tried formatting using a "USB" port , as all my drives connect either directly to the motherboard, or PCI-SATA controller card. So the short answer is.... "I have no idea". Here's a "WAG...... Maybe because i use EasyBCB to take care of all my booting chores my OS's are not the same as most other PC's ? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Seagate 3TB "Expansion External Drive"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast