Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removeable drives don't show in Explorer

This used to work until a while ago, but I can't think what I've changed recently that may have caused it.

Windows Explorer won't show newly added drives - both flash (thumb) drives and hard drives connected via a USB external caddy.

They do show up everywhere else you would expect i.e.
    * the Safely Remove Hardware tray icon
    * a Command Prompt sees them if I type in the drive letter
    * HDDSentinel sees them as normal
    * Disk Management sees them
    * Winamp sees them

And if I kill the explorer.exe process in task manager and re-run it -- vioila, the drives then show up.

So I do have a workaround but it is a bit annoying to have to kill and restart explorer each time.

I did install CrashPlan about this time but I think this problem was occurring before that. In any event I've uninstalled it and still the drives never show up.

Any suggestions welcome!
    Thanks
    Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removable Drives Missing In Explorer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

DavidPierson (2012-02-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link rmonroe! I was really hopeful that would fix it.

Changing the drive letter updated it everywhere, but still it cannot be seen in Explorer unless i kill the process and restart it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Aargghh, I figured it out. I looked through my changes log, and although I'd failed to note this one down, it gave me an idea. I went through the services to see if I'd stopped any recently in the never ending search for a faster boot time etc.

I restarted the two Distributed ... thingies but no difference. Then, I restarted the F-PROT antivirus service; I only use it for on-demand anyway, so I'd stopped the service (set to Disabled) a little while back.

Turns out that's what it was. The anti-virus must do something to the drive notifications; and without the service, they weren't getting through. I'll ask them on their forum.

Thanks to monroe for the rapid response and suggestion; it did enable me to move the two built-in card reader "drives" to letters out of the way down the alphabet, which will make it cleaner in future; so that was well worthwhile.