New Lounger
    Thanks

Safe to delete security licensing components (slk)?

My Sony VAIO of a few years old is running out of disk space. Am trying to find chunks to delete.

On the C: drive I have a huge directory with hundred of security-licensing-slc-component-sku-xxxxxx.xrm-ms files, where xxxxx stands for very long) descriptions. All files and directories were created on the same date in November 2010. The laptop is much older - guess from 2006. It runs Vista-Business SP2.

The top directory is C:\faaabd7b8d5913dc470a27 and I can rename it without problems: everything continues to work as before.

Can/should I delete 'faaabd7b8d5913dc470a27' and everything below?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello LeonW,

It seems your Vista Business laptop was once connected to a corporate system for volume key management: they are Vista Licensing files. Removal of them may cause a Windows Genuine Advantage failure resulting in your OS being treated as if it were not activated.

Hopefully there are better targets to make space on the drive. Scanner from Steffen Gerlach may be helpful - it gives an exploded pie chart view of the drive allowing you to see what's eating the space.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto, thanks for the info. I'll keep all those files and change directory name back to the original just to be sure, and find space elsewhere.
    Thanks again
    Leon

New Lounger
    Thanks

TreeSize is free and very helpful

Hi everyone,

I found TreeSize a very helpful utility. You will be able to see which folder(s) take too much space and delete the files/folders you wish, all from one simple interface. You can download TreeSize free from here:

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

Hope it helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks

one more possibility for a lot of space recovery

watch out for Norton products if you have them. especially older versions. I have cleaned 2-5 gb of old norton daily updates from a number of computers. If you HAVE an older version, why? Your maintenance includes upgrading to the latest version but most people don't do it.

Ditto on Tree Size as a great tool. Saves a lot of time figuring out where the space is used up so you can find the lowest hanging fruit. Its how I found the Norton stuff in 3 minutes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finding space

I also have a laptop hard drive that was huge then and small now. I use a 1T USB drive I can carry easily in my pocket to hold old data files -- those I may need but not now. Cord and all fit in a pocket. Only what I am working on stays on the computer. This calls for a lot of housekeeping, deeply nested trees, and careful naming conventions but avoids the hassle of fitting a new box to my needs.