Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional format with respect to value of another cell

I'm trying to conditionally format (in Excel 2010) a value in one cell so that it's font is red when it's value is less than the value in another cell in the same column (and then simply use Format Painter to apply the same rule to other cells in the same row but in different columns).
    It seems like conditional formatting only lets rules apply to absolute values, not values in cells.
    Is there any way to do this without going to the trouble of writing some Visual Basic code?

Thanks
    conditional formatting works with relative and absolute references. When you are entering the formula the default is absolute, but that can be changed.

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "It seems like conditional formatting only lets rules apply to absolute values, not values in cells."

Not so.

I have attached a small example (in Excel 2003, but this functionality has not changed) of what I think you are trying to do.

As usual, you will have to remove the appropriate $ signs so that your formula copies in the way that you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, MartinM
    It took me a little time to figure out that I have to go to "Manage Rules" in Conditional Formatting and enter a formuka, and then that just removing the $ in the cell addresses in the first box that pops up is not enough, but it works fine, so thanks again,