New Lounger
    Thanks

Can IE9 be set to block 3rd party cookies that have P3P tokens

I know that IE 9 does not currently block 3rd party cookies with valid (or perhaps invalid) P3P tokens. My question is whether there is any way to make IE 9 ALWAYS block 3rd party cookies? Do any of the WindowsSecrets gurus have any insight into whether Microsoft is going to fix this to allow the user to absolutely control blocking of 3rd party cookies? Thanks

Thanks
    Go to Internet Options, Privacy Tab, Advanced button, Check Override automatic cookie handling and check block 3rd party cookies. Ok out. I believe this is what you want.

BlockThirdPartyCookies.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

davelr (2012-02-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... which is exactly what Microsoft has recommended at the bottom of Google Bypassing User Privacy Settings if you don't add the new Tracking Protection List available there.

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

davelr (2012-02-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and Bruce,
    Thanks for the info. I've had override and "block" set for 3rd party cookies for some time. The problem lately is that the coverage of this issue has not been specifically clear and some has implied that P3P processing may still be taking place even if the user has set the block option. The link Bruce provided was one I had not found.

Even with that though, I still haven't seen any clear statement that setting override and block for 3rd party cookies will stop all P3P processing on 3rd party cookies. I have added all the standard tracking lists and now the new one from MS as well.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    I have also added the new blocking list from MS. I saw this in another thread the other day. I had not thought of this since I started using IE 9, but said "can't hurt". Glad out info helped settle your mind.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have actually found something that breaks after adding the MS Google tracking list. At first I thought that this would prove that the "Block 3rd party" setting didn't work, but it's not clear that the primary site might actually be setting the cookies.

Anyway the site is the roomandboard.com site. If you browse to a product description page and then click the "Read all Reviews" button, nothing will happen if you have the tracking list enabled. If you disable the tracking list then this button will work. The "Block 3rd Party" setting doesn't matter. You do get a couple of extra cookie entries when the list is disabled.

Of course if you have anything in your "Favorites" list with google.com in the domain name, these cookies won't be deleted when you close IE and it will appear that the list enabling doesn't matter.

Whatever, probably worrying about something that we can't do anything about anyway.
    Last edited by davelr; 2012-02-25 at 13:31. Reason: minor fix