Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Wireless W7 to wired XP not sharing resources

A long running wired XP home network of 3 desktop pcs has just been altered by replacing a 4 port switch with a NetGear N600 wireless router with 4-ports. After some configuration assistance from NetGear, both the wired and wireless sides are functioning properly, but SEPARATELY.

The reason for adding the wireless support was due to a new ASUS Notebook with Windows 7 running wirelessly. Now what do I have to do to get the W7 PC to start sharing the files and printers resident on the wired XP side of the router?

Tom

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Tom,

What do you mead by "SEPARATELY"? You shouldn't have to do anything special to see the resources on the other machines. One thind you don't want to do is set up a Home Group on the Win 7 machine. What I always do is set up accounts that are Identical on each machine {i.e. same User Name & PW}. Then share the items I want shared on each machine and no problems. There is one MS Hotfix for XP to make it coverse with a Win 7 Machine over the network. Install it on every XP machine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Separate, as in the wireless W7 PC can see no indication of a wired network or devices on that network. Also, the wired XP PCs can not see any indication of a wireless network or devices on that network.

All the XP PC are currently fully updated with Service Pack 3. When running the Hotfix, I get a message indicating that eh current OS is already at a later version.

Thanks
    Tom

Have a look at the 'File sharing connections' File sharing.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    . One thind you don't want to do is set up a Home Group on the Win 7 machine.
    Would you elaborate on this RG? maybe a new thread or a PM to me, as I don't understand it. All the guides say use Home Group.

Thanks
    Midnight,

The reason I said to not set up a home group is that XP does not play well with a home group. Another is that you have much greater control using the old XP style sharing which is still available in Win-7. IMHO whenever MS, or anyone else, tries to make things "easier" they usually compromise things along the way trying to make the "one size fits all". YMMV

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

midnight (2012-02-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The fifth line of the PDF talks about a "Workgroup name". How do you set up a "workgroup" (as apposed to a "Homegroup") on Win7???

Thanks
    To set up a workgroup:
    1. Click the Orb.
    2. Right-Click Computer.
    3. Click Properties.
    4. Under "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, Click "Change settings"
    5. On the Computer Name tab of the dialog Click the Change... button.
    6. Under "Member Of" Click the Workgroup button then type in the name you want.
    7. Ok/Apply your way out.
    8. Repeat on all computers for the Workgroup.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

From one also, Thanks for that clue. Setting up the workgroup properly was the key to my connection issues. Now it seems like I need to find a good Window 7 User Manual and get up to speed on this OS.

Tom Raab

Thanks
    Tom,

I'd recommend the O'Reilly book "Windows 7 The Definitive Guide" ISBN: 978-0-596-80097-0. I have also used the the Missing Manual series and found them quite good {I have the one for Vista}. Of course don't forget "Windows 7 Secrets" ISBN: 978-0-470-50841-1.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

piperson168 (2012-02-26)

Thanks
    Tom,
    Workgroup is the name of a home Network, this is mine:-

Capture.JPG

This will teach you about W7 OS http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know about all the stuff in-between, but in your post you indicate you replaced a switch with a wireless router. A network with a switch is likely to already have a router, so adding a 2nd router could easily cause problems - you may in fact have 2 separate networks. What ip addresses are assigned to the PCs - are they getting from DHCP or static - does the new router put the new machines in a different address range from the prior ones?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Retired Geek, I'm all set up. Sorry if this is a naive question, but what do I do with Workgroup? And how do I get started with whatever I might want to do?

Thanks
    Dic,

There are basically 2 ways to network Workgroup {Peer-to-Peer} or Domain {Server Based}. You don't really do anything with the workgroup once is setup except have other computers join the work group. Once a directory is shared on a machine anyone in the workgroup can access it, unless restrictions are placed on the share like Administrators Only, etc. BTW: As a general security practice it is a good idea to NOT use the default workgroup name (if memory serves that's "MSHOME"}. Post back if you have any other concerns.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A Microsoft "Workgroup" is a local collection of computers in the same group - it's a bit like a 'Lite' version of a Domain.
    It allows local PC's to share folders and printers.
    Without it, they won't see each other, but will see the Internet.

WIndows 7 has added another Group Layer called "Homegroup" - unfortunately XP knows nothing of this, typical of Microsoft to break something! (and not fix it...)

If you right-click a folder, choose 'Share With...', you might see choices like 'Everybody' 'Nobody' 'Homegroup'.
    This menu only applies to Win7 Homegroups, and does nothing for XP.

If you right-click a folder, choose 'Properties', then choose the tab 'Sharing', you will see the same choices as in XP, with Groups, Permissions, etc.
    Phew, MS didn't get rid of that!

Homegroups basically only work with Win7, and just cause misleading problems for mixed-MS environments.
    Thanks for warning/explaining it all to us MS! NOT!

As for newer MS OS's not working with older Printers and Scanners, I'm surprised nobody has taken out a Class-Action suit(e) against MS for pointlessly crippling old Tech. As far as I'm concerned, it's not the Equipment Manufacturers who should write new drivers for their older kit, it's MS who should not break the Driver-Model in the first place! And if MS have to break it, add a 'Legacy Driver' layer to accomodate older drivers. ARRRRGGGG!!!!!

But you are probably finding that out as I type........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast