Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I see. Thank you, Retired Geek. Even after fifteen years, on various boxes, I'm still learning. Time to pack up when one ain't, eh?

I found the default name to be WORKGROUP. I changed it, of course.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Dic,
    BTW: As a general security practice it is a good idea to NOT use the default workgroup name (if memory serves that's "MSHOME"}.
    R.G., I've not heard of security issues related to WORKGROUP naming. In fact, I believe it was Fred Langa that actually recommended using the default "WORKGROUP" name. I am pretty sure "MSHOME" is the default name for workgroups only on WinXP-Home. WinXP-Professional and others use WORKGROUP as default [Another example of MS's penchant for renaming of stuff].

So, unless there really is a security issue, just use the default "WORKGROUP" on all OSes, including XP-Home and Win7.

BTW, I believe it was also Fred Langa who advised [paraphrasing] ... '' go ahead and set up HOMEGROUP ... for future use when all your machines are running newer OSes ... it won't interfere with WORKGROUPS..."
    __RonR

Thanks
    Ron,

I was always taught, by the spooky folks I used to work for, to change any default related to system access. It just makes it that much harder for a hacker, one more thing they have to get past. YMMV!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12