New Lounger
    Thanks

Save As- Without Confirmation

I'm using the Save.As function to save my file to a second folder. It says the file already exists, do I want to replace it. Yes I do. I do this every day, and I want to automate the procedure-just save over the previous file without asking me. Howsabout some suggestions.

Thanks folks,
    Paul

calacuccia

Re: Save As- Without Confirmation

Hi Paul.

I don't know how well you know VBA, so I presume you do know it.

You can use a procedure like this:

Sub MySaveAs()
    Application.DisplayAlerts=False
    ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "C:MyFolderMyFile.xls"
    Application.DisplayAlerts=True
    End Sub

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

wouldn't that be displayalerts = false?

if your vba skills are not so hot, try this KB for some step by steps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q213/4/28.asp

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

oops, i see you have both in. the second isn't needed since they are reset to true when the sub ends.

calacuccia

Mary,

The second one is always needed.

First of all, even when it is reset at the end of the macro (was only the case in previous versions of Excel, with previous meaning prior to XL 97), you can have subsequent commands where you really don't want Excel to accept the default choice when an alert is displayed.

Second of all, Microsoft puts this in the help file for the DisplayAlerts Method:

"Remarks

The default value is True. Set this property to False if you don't want to be disturbed by prompts and alert messages while a macro is running; any time a message requires a response, Microsoft Excel chooses the default response.
    If you set this property to False, Microsoft Excel doesn't automatically set it back to True when your macro stops running. Your macro should always set the property back to True when it stops running.

Note This behavior is different from previous versions of Microsoft Excel. In earlier versions, the DisplayAlerts property was automatically reset to True when the macro stopped running. If you have old code that relies on this behavior, you should change your code to explicitly set the property back to True at the end of the macro."

Although it does not seem to work this way, be sure that in a future it will be like this.

It is in any case a good habitude to always reset manual modifications of Excel behaviour if you do it in a macro.

Calacuccia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate the help, the code worked perfectly!