Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What HD seem to be most reliable?

I'm thinking about a couple new 250 gig SATA drives, what seem to be the most reliable brand/model these days?

I've had a couple 1tb seagate drives that went south quickly.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I'm thinking about a couple new 250 gig SATA drives, what seem to be the most reliable brand/model these days?

I've had a couple 1tb seagate drives that went south quickly.
    Hi "Jag" ,
    Your going to get a bunch of opinions here ... I''ll throw mine in See Thread Here My only other comment is the price seems to be coming down a bit from what they were a few months ago... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Is it a big deal to install a SSD ? I use sata drives now.

Thanks
    There are several threads on SSD drives as well. Try a search for SSD drives. There has been very mixed reviews here for them.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    My contribution to the thread Fred linked to : post #5

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    There are several threads on SSD drives as well. Try a search for SSD drives. There has been very mixed reviews here for them.
    See also post #5

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    Is it a big deal to install a SSD ? I use sata drives now.
    Jag ,
    For me the price and size of SSD's ( as compared to SATA HD's )are not at this time ready for "Prime Time" ....Oop's should of put my "Woopin Helmet" on first Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-25 at 17:52.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    No need for whoopin helmet. My thoughts exactly on this one. And there have been some real problems with some.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred & Ted,

I'm with you. Unless you have an absolute need for speed and or excessively long periods on battery I'd steer clear of SSDs for now! YMMV.
    If I was to install an SSD I'd most definately carry along a USB portable drive with a couple of images and maybe the old internal drive I took out for safety, especially if it was a business machine that I depended on. Thus, in an emergency I could restore the SSD if necessary and/or completely replace it if it went up in a flame of glory! Just my 2 cents worth.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have always been happy with Toshiba drives, never had one fail and have used then in both desktops and laptops. I would not buy a Seagate drive - every one I had failed, though Seagate is very good at honoring their warranty and replacing failed drives (their refrubished drives are much more reliable, haven't had onefail.

Thanks
    I would have thought with all the disruption in the Far East because of the floods, any long-term trends on hard disk reliabiity must surely be up in the air!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Over the past 30+ years, more HD companies have gone under than there are in existence today.
    Company mergers have nixed several more brand names that many of us used and relied on for many years.

Quantum, was bought by Maxtor and Maxtor was bought up by Seagate. Seagate has had some problems with the 1TB+ drives, but I rely on the lower MB drives for my own use and recommend them for drive replacements. (anything 500GB or less)

On my main system, I have a second HD for Win-8. That drive is a Seagate 500GB SATA III drive. It's twice as fast as the common SATA II drive, which is twice as fast as the original SATA I drive.
    My only problem right now, is that I don't have a motherboard that is SATA III compatible. So that drive is now on a SATA II port on my mobo and is running quite nicely at SATA II speed. I'm really looking forward to the day when I get a new motherboard with SATA III ports on it so I can run that drive at full SATA III speed.

Years ago, Western Digital was a reliable brand name, but for the past few years their quality has suffered badly.
    Most of the external drives that we hear about having problems are WD drives. I have several WD drives here that I got from dead or dying External Drive Enclosures. The drives do run OK, but I won't trust them for anything important. I call them "Scratch Disks".

Today, my main drive is a Samsung 1TB and it's been running for about a year with nary a problem. I do run all my HD's with Two-Fan coolers on them, so they always stay at room temperature. Preventing thermal shock, greatly enhances the life of any HD.

Several years ago, I was using a WD drive that had come back as an RMA Replacement. As I was working on the PC the drive screamed to a stop. I reached in to take it out and burned my hand, it was just that HOT!
    When dealing with electronics, just remember one thing, "Heat Kills".

When looking for a new hard drive today, I'll look for Seagate, Samsung or Toshiba. WD is on my bad list and Hitachi is the old IBM Deathstar, named that for good reasons. They were just not reliable.

Good Luck and y'all have a great day now, y'hear?

The Doctor

For those who don't yet understand the different SATA speeds. I got this tidbit from Wikipedia.

3 Revisions
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-02-27 at 13:56.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Web-tracker (2012-03-01)

Thanks
    Yeah, I've had "2" bad 1TB Seagate 7200 drives, over the last 4-8 months they have sent me back with replacements but hesitant to use them for any real needy purpose.

I think I might throw them into an enclosure and let them run for duplicates backups for a good while :-)

Thanks
    I've got several Western Digital 1 and 2 TB drives that have been up and running reliably for the last 2 years now.
    I've only had to RMA 1 bad drive in my years of computing, and that was a WD 750 GB drive.

I also have a 1 TB Hitatchi that is approx 5 years old that is running reliably, it tends to run the warmest of the bunch though.

The 1 and 2 TB drives are great for storage but I would never recommend using them as operating system boot drives, simply because
    one could do much better. A smaller 150-250 GB 10,000 rpm WD raptor would do nicely for that, better yet, a 120 GB SSD.
    1 TB drives; great for storage of any data types.
    2 TB drives and higher; best suited for very large data file storage types, like video.

The way Fred has his drives all placed together in his case is kind of an abomination, I would never recommend anyone doing that.
    He has long ago been in need of a proper case replacement from the looks of it...unless you actually like to run with the side of your case open[??]

Any drive listed on the market today will have their naysayers. If you've had problems with one particular brand, then go with another.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like the Crucial M4 SSD drives today. I just got a 128GB M4 for $149 on sale at Tiger and it really sped things up on a brand new Toshiba L745 laptop. I also upped the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB first which made little perceptible difference like the SSD did yesterday. Today I imaged it and loaded Windows 8 on it to play with the new Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It is way better than the developers preview was.
    Seagate also makes the Momentus Hybrid which has some SSD on board and then the bulk is a mechanical drive, giving some of both worlds.

In reading about drives today I read about DOA drives for every brand in every size. The most reliable drive is the one you are still using 5 years from now. I have a couple of WD 1TB SATA drives that are five years old and started life out as my external drives in their My Book enclosures. The electronics in the early My Books was not Windows 7 compatible and WD was not writing anymore drivers for the old ones so both of them are now sitting in Thermaltake external drive docks and running fine as archival drives and image repositories. I even have an old 60GB PATA drive in an old aluminum external drive enclosure with USB 2.0 that really runs hot but is now about ten years old and all still works fine. Even with Windows 7.

If you get a good one it will stay a good one, until it isn't anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast