Thanks

Problem with the "Print Complete" sound

My Windows 7 pro x64 system will not play the "Print Complete" sound after printing a document.

I get the pop-up saying that the print job has completed, just like it did with Win XP. However, the sound is not played.

The sounds applet in control panel has the "Print Complete" sound defined correctly and the Test button plays the sound. So I do not have an audio problem, and the .wav file is not blocked.

I have looked for any options that could control the sound, but have not found any.

Can anyone confirm that this sound actually works on any Win 7 system or is this a problem with the implementation?

Thanks

Follow up for the print complete problem

I have definitions for a network printer and a PDF Print to file virtual printer. Both have drivers which are Windows 7 64-bit updates. I have similar drivers on my Windows XP laptop. Printing to both printer definitions give a Pop-Up notification and no sound under Windows 7, but give a sound under Windows XP.

The Pop-Up Notification of print completion is controlled by the Print Server (Spooler). There are check boxes under the "Print Server Properties" > Advanced tab to set notifications for both local and network printers. I have both boxes checked.

I tested this under Windows XP and the same boxes controlled the Pop-Up Notification and the "Print Complete" sound. I would expect Windows 7 to work the same.

Can anyone verify that the "Print Complete" sound ever plays under any Windows 7 configuration (Home, Pro, Ultimate)?

I would appreciate any feedback that would help me understand why this is not working. So far the lack of any reply suggests this does not work on Windows 7 at all.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tested it with win 7 home premium and although it is selected in Sounds and works fine when tested, it doesn't play when printing is complete on a network printer. For the record, I have never heard that sound when printing from any of my 4 win 7 computers. I don't think it works at all on win 7. It might have more to do with the printers--I have 2, one network printer and one directly connected to one of the computers and shared.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mlg63 For This Useful Post:

JC Zorkoff (2012-02-28)

Thanks
    I don't get the print complete sound in Windows 7 Ultimate either. Ther is an old KB article that indicates its a known problem in Vista and Windows XP SP2, so Iwonder if they ever fixed it.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952885/

J
    erry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

JC Zorkoff (2012-02-28)

Thanks
    Thank you both for providing this confirming feedback. Now I can stop spending time looking for a fix that doesn't exist.

My Windows XP system was SP3 by the way and it worked just fine. I guess that Microsoft can't seem to keep a fix once they have released it.