Thread: vpn question

4 Star Lounger

vpn question

I have a vpn question.
    I can log in and the network center shows me to be connected, however, I can't find the VPN directory.

My instructions are for a mac and read:
    Choose the "Go" menu.
    Click on "Connect to Server"
    Type in "192.168.xx.5", then press "Connect".
    Type in the server username: XXXXXXX and the password: XXXXXXX , then press "Connect" again.
    Choose "XXXXXXX", then press OK.

I have tried putting in the 192.168... sequence in both firefox and IE and cannot connect.

What else should I try?

Lounge VIP
    At first reading I thought you were not connected to the VPN, but perhaps you are. Just to verify though:

To setup a VPN connection in Windows 7, click on the Start button and enter VPN in the Search Programs and Files Text box. Click on the link at the top of the list (Setup an virtual private VPN connection).

Enter the external routable IP address (not the 192.168.x.x address) and give the vpn a useful name. Enter the username and password you have been given. Set the domain name if you have it. Click Connect.

So, now, assuming you are connected:

Once the vpn connection is established and authenticated, you should be able to map any network drives that are available to you on that server. You can also make a shortcut for that vpn connection adn drop it on the desktop. Once done, you can also configure additional settings such as authentication settings and internet routing.

To map the network drive, click on Computer from the Start Menu and select Map Network Drive from the menu at the top of the window. Enter in the server IP address (192.168.x.5) and the username and password details you have been given and choose a drive letter.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-02-26 at 16:55. Reason: Misunderstood that the vpn was already connected: it's map network drive error perhaps.