Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Ok to make backup disc after changes?

oops, did I goof up too bad? Machine was set up on 2/17 by a friend who only had a short time to help me. In the meantime I've been trying to get familiar with both new machine & Windows 7. I have already installed a few favorite apps. & have made a few small changes (?) to make things easier for me to find. I have never done anything with making discs, my old mach. didn't have that option. In doing some reading about Win 7, it looks like that should have been done right away.

What happens now when I finally do it after I've made changes?
    That brings up another problem that I'd best post here instead of separately . . . . there are lots of warnings & errors in Event Viewer. On my old mach. with XP, I could generally find some info on them but in 7 it's totally confusing.

Thank you.
    eMachine with Win.7 Home Premium
    IE9
    64 bit

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Making a drive image is always a good idea, if you missed doing so before making any changes, then go ahead and start now.
    Having a backup to fallback on is always better than having no backup to fallback on.

The Windows 7 event viewer will generate alot of errors, many that are of no real world consequence. Searching using Google or any other search engine can garner more info if needed.

Thanks
    You might also like to make a Win 7 System Repair Disk which contains many of the Boot files and initial system files. I have this in addition to my Image files. I recently used this disk to fix a MBR on my granddaughters new PC when a had a senior moment with it.

SystemRepairDisk.jpg

Control Panel, Backup and Repair, Create a System Repair Disk. Follow the prompts to create a system repair CD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure to save the system images and backups on an external hard drive. Those are very big files and multiple dvd's are unreliable. The system repair disk can be made on a cd since that is used as a boot disk if you cannot boot to the hard drive. In fact you should make a couple of those just in case one gets damaged. It's good to make a system image on the external drive after you have the computer completely setup the way you want. Make a new system image after any major change.
    No worry about not making a system image when you first got the computer. The hard drive already has that on the hidden Recovery partition. More info about Recovery in Windows Backup & Restore.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mlg63 For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-04-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you , but boy do I have some learning to do! Didn't realize there were so many different kinds. Boot, backup, recover, repair,image, etc. And I do have a stack of unused CD-R discs sitting here. Also a 4GB USB Flash Memory Drive that I know nothing about, it was a gift that I've never used 'cuz I don't know how.
    Best get out of here & do some homework, think I logged in about 2-3 hrs. ago.

Thanks
    I know things can be confusing. I will try to clear things up a little:

The System Repair Disk contains a bunch of the installation files and MBR for Win 7. If somehow the MBR or some of the other necessary boot files get corrupted, inserting this CD (yes these files can fit on a CD) can sometimes fix some of these critical system files, in many cases automatically without any further interventions. The last time I had a senior moment and screwed up a MBR, I inserted the Win 7 Repair Disk and when I turned the PC on the system reconized a problem and asked me if I wanted it fixed. I said yes and like magic it was done. This is an excellent disk to have. As stated above having a couple can't hurt (unless you have a second PC to make a disk if your first goes bad)

A System Image is a snapshot of your entire HD as it look at the vaery moment your create the Image. It includes all the apps you have installed, all the upgrades you have installed, all the customizations you have done, and (if you have not changed their locations) all the data on the HD. These are great to restore your system say that same senior moment screws up something more than just a critical system file that does not let you boot, or say a virus infects your system (shame for not having a good security scheme) or you suffer a hardware failure. In these cases using the Rescue Disk (again a CD) and the Image you created (hopefully Up To Date so you don't have to add a lot of updates back into the restored HD) takes about 10 minutes. You do have to have a Rescue disk with the app that you use to create the Image. This rescue disk allows you to boot to the Imaging app. The Image itself should be stored off PC (I store my Images on an Ext HD). I recreate Images whenever I make changes to my OS.

Backups are generally copies of data so that if either of the above happen your data is secure. This is very important and should be done seperately from either of the above. Data backups should be done much more regularly than Images.

i hope this helps to clear things up.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-04-19)

Thanks
    In think your eMachines branded computer has a hidden recovery partition. This means that in all likelihood, there is a one-time option to make Recovery or Restore Disks from that Partiiton. While normally done at the time of purchase, this option should still be available until you have actually made the disks. Since these disks are created from the OEM configuration (out of the box, nothing added or removed conditions), you would be able to use these disks to get back to a like-new condition in the event of any sort of disaster, even a hard drive replacement. See if you have the option to burn the OEM Recovery Disks.

Exactly how you will get into the recovery Partition depends on your brand and model, but it usually involves pressing the F10 or some other function key during startup from a cold shutdown.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

System Repair Disk

Doing a Windows 7 Image backup is great, and easy. It allows you to recover from a disaster back to a previous good state. Restoring your system after a disaster from the hard disk is easy. But you also need to make a System Repair Disk. This disk allows you to recover from a disk failure. Without it if your disk drive crashes you have no way to restore the image backup you made.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sj_ken For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-04-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to all.
    I did get the disks done for the eMachine which came preloaded with Win. 7, so do I still need to make separate disks for 7? I'm sorry to be such a pest.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A related question--can you make one system repair disk and use it to boot any of your Windows 7-equipped machines or do you need to make a separate disk for each. Tks.

Worth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by worthbanner View Post
    A related question--can you make one system repair disk and use it to boot any of your Windows 7-equipped machines or do you need to make a separate disk for each. Tks.

Worth
    OEM System Repair Disks (as opposed to generic Windows 7 Repair Disks) are specific to the drivers and hardware of the brand and model of computer they came from. They are not transferable to dissimilar hardware.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-03-11 at 05:17.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grits View Post
    Thanks again to all.
    I did get the disks done for the eMachine which came preloaded with Win. 7, so do I still need to make separate disks for 7? I'm sorry to be such a pest.
    First, you are not being a pest. I enjoy following up with folks until all is clear.

The only update for your OEM disks (other than recent MS Updates) should be if you have applied SP1 and the original configuration was before that upgrade. SP1 should be a DVD of its own. You install the OEM Restore from the disks you have, then install SP1, and then go to MS Updates for the rest. Then reinstall software and update it. If restoring from a System Image created with a backup program, these last two steps (MS Updates and software updates) would be needed, but would take less time.
    -- Bob Primak --

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-04-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sj_ken View Post
    Doing a Windows 7 Image backup is great, and easy. It allows you to recover from a disaster back to a previous good state. Restoring your system after a disaster from the hard disk is easy. But you also need to make a System Repair Disk. This disk allows you to recover from a disk failure. Without it if your disk drive crashes you have no way to restore the image backup you made.
    What is needed is bootable rescue media. Most backup programs allow this to be made from within the program, although some vendors require additional downloads. Another method is to just reinstall the base OS from OEM Recovery Disks, and then install the backup program. Then run the backup program from within the OEM OS and restore from any valid archive. It saves time over a complete system rebuild, especially when the failure was of the hard drive.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm baack with 100 questions & comments IF I can remember all that's gone thru my head in the last couple hrs.
    I'm very much interested in getting WM on my Win7 machine (as found elsewhere on this board). As usual they say to do an 'Image' first. I don't have nor do I understand all there is to know about "an external drive". I'm not even sure I'd want to save a good share of what I have on here because I probably don't have things right anyway. I would want to save my current email. I did do the Recovery Disks for my eMachine as I said in post #9 but that's all I've done.
    I have 16 CD-R disks, pkg. says 700MB, 80Minutes, 48x. These are Memorx.
    I have 6 DVD+R disks, pkg. says 4.7GB, 120Minutes, 1-16x. These are Sony.
    I have a 4GB Flash Drive.
    Windows7 Home Premium 64bit
    Any input will be appreciated if I've made any sense here.

Thanks
    I'm very much interested in getting WM on my Win7 machine (as found elsewhere on this board).
    What email client are you using now, if any?
    Email is the easiest to backup, they can simply be exported, along with account and contacts info. The USB thumb drive you have would work nicely.
    WLM would be fine, you can choose to image after set up if you like, but also backup your email independently first.
    I don't have nor do I understand all there is to know about "an external drive". I'm not even sure I'd want to save a good share of what I have on here because I probably don't have things right anyway.
    External hard drives are a good place to store all those imaged backups and other user data backups. Extra internal drives are better.
    Placing images on multiple DVD discs can be cumbersome, but if you have no other recourse at the moment, then by all means use them.
    I don't recommend placing images on anything less than a DVD disc as this process can be frought with potential errors, and you could easily go through
    a dozen discs.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-04-19 at 20:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast