Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What email client are you using now, if any?
    Email is the easiest to backup, they can simply be exported, along with account and contacts info. The USB thumb drive you have would work nicely.
    WLM would be fine, you can choose to image after set up if you like, but also backup your email independently first.
    I'm using Eudora 7.1 but don't really care for it.
    External hard drives are a good place to store all those imaged backups and other user data backups. Extra internal drives are better.
    Placing images on multiple DVD discs can be cumbersome, but if you have no other recourse at the moment, then by all means use them.
    I don't recommend placing images on anything less than a DVD disc as this process can be frought with potential errors, and you could easily go through
    a dozen discs.
    Ok, I'll nix the discs for imaging, but they're ok to use for backups?
    After all the reading I've been doing, do I understand that I need to buy or find a free program, outside of what my machine has for 'imaging' & backups? And how many external drives & thumb drives should I have on hand to keep myself safe from another complete loss like I went through in Feb. when my XP crashed?
    I'm trying to exist on a meager Social Security monthly income.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to edit my above post 'cuz I mixed part of my reply into Clint's quote but had some sort of hang up (operater error I'm sure). Anyway, 'I'm' using Eudora 7.1 got mixed into his.

Thanks
    I use the free version of Macrium Reflect and it works well enough, Just remember to create the bootable Linux disc.One external, or one extra internal drive will do. If your current hard drive is big enough you can partition it for this purpose until you can get another drive.The 700MB CD discs you have will be more than sufficient for "hard copy" backups of most of your personal data, like photos, downloaded software, etc.You might also check into Craig's list in your area for a deal on hardware like external or internal drives. You may be able to get a decent deal on something.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

grits (2012-04-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint,

Darn, wish I'd have read this earlier this morning. I finally decided to do the backup that was sitting in the action center & had no idea how big it would be so used one of my more expensive 4.7gb dvd+r discs.
    How/where can I go to see what size something is? For example, on my xp, when I opened the recycle bin it would show how many items AND total size, but win7 only shows how many items.

Thanks
    It would depend upon what exactly you are backing up and what program your using to do it.

The default Windows 7 backup and restore wants to include your user directory and an image of the primary drive. You would have to look closely to see what exactly was being done prior to initiating a backup.
    Example:
    Image=total size of data on disk being imaged.
    Image+User profile=total size of data used by disk being imaged+size of user profile

You could then roughly figure on how many DVD discs you would need.

With 3rd party applications, like Macrium for example, you will have very specific options available to you, like compression, incrementals, and other options,
    among them, the location to store and the drive location that is to be imaged.

Pay close attention the the program while you are using it. It should tell you what the size is at some point prior to initiating an image creation.
    In most instances it will figure on the amount of DVD disc you will need for the operation at hand.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Clint, I'm completely lost. I just used whatever Win.7 had to do my backup. I'd have no idea what options to pick if using Macrium,etc. I always just use defaults in any program because I'm really computer illiterate. I think my best bet would be to go find some ' for Dummies' books & do some real study before I crash another machine.
    Thanks for trying to help but am sorry that I've wasted your time & effort.
    grits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12