Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access Safe Mode

On a fairly recent Win7 64-bit desktop PC, the age-old technique of pressing F8 should halt boot-up at a screen with the list of familiar choices:

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    etc.

But it doesn't. Instead, it stops at a screen listing drives and says select one and hit Enter. Doing so leads to a normal boot, as does selecting a drive and pressing F8, and holding F8 while pressing Enter.

Can someone tell me what in blazes is going on here?

Thanks
    iTobaman, Welcome to the Lounge.

Pressing and Holding F8 as your PC restarts before the Windows logo appears is the method related by MS which works on all my Win 7 32 Bit and 64 Bit PCes. Not sure why this would not work for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Not sure why this would not work for you.
    That's what I was afraid you'd say.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    On some OEM machines, the route to get to the boot options menu (safe mode, last known good config, etc.) is to go through the Boot Menu, which may be F10, F11 or AltF10, AltF11 etc (depending on manufacturer). In his case, be careful not to select a recovery option, but to select the Boot Options.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    On some OEM machines, the route to get to the boot options menu (safe mode, last known good config, etc.) is to go through the Boot Menu, which may be F10, F11 or AltF10, AltF11 etc (depending on manufacturer). In his case, be careful not to select a recovery option, but to select the Boot Options.
    What I get using the F8 method is called "Boot Menu" -- which is a vertical list of storage devices arranged in the boot order (1. DVD/CD drive, 2. main internal HD, 3. a USB drive, etc.). The user is forced to select one of these devices and press Enter. Whichever one selects leads to a normal boot. There is no mention of Safe Mode.

Pressing Del during boot-up leads to "EFI BIOS Settings". Here you can select "Boot Menu," which is the same boot menu described above. I find no mention of Safe Mode anywhere in the EFI BIOS Settings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Have you tried pressing F8 {you may need to press it several times} after selecting the boot device and pressing Enter?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Have you tried pressing F8 {you may need to press it several times} after selecting the boot device and pressing Enter?
    Yes. It has no effect.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Success! RetiredGeek, I had already tried holding F8 down land leaving it down before, during and after hitting Enter. I had tried hitting Enter and then holding down F8, and hitting Enter and tapping F8 repeatedly. But to fully exhaust the possibilities of your suggestion, and noting how quick Windows is to boot after hitting Enter, I lined up one index finger on Enter and the other on F8 and began tapping like a Morse code competitor and Enter was my start buzzer. Safe Mode at last! Thanks everyone.