Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Data from 1 sheet (form with drop-downs) to populate another sheet

I suspect this has a VB (only?) solution?

I have a number of drop-downs in Sheet1 that a user selects (from a form-like layout), and then want a new row in Sheet2 to be populated, column by column, by the info from Sheet1.

In order to allow the user to keep filling in Sheet1 with new info, I suspect I need a button that UPDATES Sheet2 with the next record of information.

Any thoughts/suggestions/solution?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, you would need to have a [post record] button with some VBA attached.

On your sheet with the form-like layout, I would have a 'dummy record' hidden from view,
    The 'dummy record' would have entries in the same order etc as those on your Sheet2.

The 'dummy record' would have formulas linked to your 'form' to 'fetch' the form 'input' values.
    Underneath the 'dummy record', you could have 'check formulas' which 'tested' the 'fetched values' were valid i.e. these formulas could check for 'valid' entries e.g. blank or missing, correct length, numeric, non-negative etc etc.

The check values would return True or False, but you can easily convert this to numeric 0 or 1, allowing you to also have a cell which sums (i.e. 'counts') the number of 'errors'.

If any of the 'check values' showed an error, your VBA could say so, and NOT post the record etc.
    If you prepared a short example file of what you are doing, perhaps we could show you.

zeddy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there I'm not sure if your dropdowns were data validation or developer drop down list you inserted but here is an example of a dropdown list that populates Sheet2 when you click on command buttons.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RVASQUEZ For This Useful Post:

kweaver (2012-02-29)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    At first quick glance, this looks ideal and I can modify as needed. THANKS.