New Lounger
    Thanks

Older Windows Vista Upgrades

Hello. Yes, I am one of those fortunate (?) persons who is trying to work with Vista. I spent a number of days talking with a number of savvy people trying to find a solution for BSOD. After wasting a number of hours on this problem, we came to the conclusion that a complete reinstallation of the OS was the only way to go. The install went well, but then came the hundreds of patches to bring the OS up to date. Towards the end of these patches quirky things started happening, like multiple programs crashing that weren't a problem before. (At least no more BSOD!) I believe what I need is a comprehensive list of Vista's patches going back for several years so that I can choose which to install vs which to run away from. I want to start again with a clean install of the OS followed by a more informed approach to the patches. I can find recent discussions of recent patches, but I need guidance with the older ones. Anyone who can help- Thank You!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Your best bet is to install Vista, make sure that SP-2 is installed, and go from there. If you run Windows Update after SP-2 is installed you'll get the most comprehensive list of fixes. Unfortunately for you, I don't believe there is any site that has a discussion of all fixes for an OS.

After SP2 is installed successfully, I recommend you install a few updates at a time run for a few days then repeat the process. You may want to make image backups periodically so you have a know good point to which you can return.

If you have programs crashing that weren't before, have you eliminated hardware problems as a cause?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I think we have eliminated hardware problems as the culprit. Every hardware test I have run comes back OK. After I reinstalled Vista, the first batch of updates included 110 patches! SP-2 didn't appear until several batches later. After I reinstall the OS again, is it possible to jump directly to SP-2 and continue from that point? If so, is there any particular trick I need to know? Thanks again. By the way, yes, I really do sleep with three dogs whether it's cold outside or not.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You must have SP1 installed before SP2. This was a very unusual step for Microsoft. I'd recommend downloading the full versions of each service pack. Be sure to download the file that corresponds to the bitness of your OS. You should consider installing the System update readiness tool first. Then the Vista service packs - Vista SP1 & Vista Sp2.

Joe