3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where have all the gadgets gone?

Did Microsoft discontinue offering all but a handful of Sidebar gadgets for the Windows Vista operating system?

When you right click on the Sidebar and chose “Add Gadgets” and then click on “Get more gadgets online” it opens http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nalize/gadgets They only offer thirty gadgets and that seems to be all.

I know they want to rack in more bucks by forcing you to upgrade to Windows 7, but are all the thousands of gadgets now gone? Any other “safe” place to download them?

Thanks in advance,
    Richard Spring

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Perhaps very few people were using them
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Did Microsoft discontinue offering all but a handful of Sidebar gadgets for the Windows Vista operating system?

RSpring,
    Hello...No they are all there ...I have them on my Vista OS.. Go to... Computer>Program Files> Windows Sidebar>Gadgets ...Take a look and see what's in the folder... See my Vista Screen shot...Should look similar.... Regards Fred

PS: I'll look around and try to find where you can download the folder (Approx 14MB) Vista Gadgets

PPS: See This Gadgets
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-02-28 at 18:47.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Yes, Windows 7 too, last fall: Microsoft Retires Gadgets In Preparation Of Windows 8 Launch

The rise and fall of the Windows Desktop Gadget by Woody Leonhard

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-02-28 at 21:07.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR,
    Hello... You can still get them and use them (Original Windows Vista Gadgets) See my previous post... You can also use all Vista Gadgets on XP, and "7", as well. I have done this to all my OS's Just requires a bit of "Tweaking" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, but that's only a few which are at least five years old. The hundreds or thousands which had been available during the last five years at the now retired Windows Live Gallery were reduced five months ago to just 30 now at Personalization Gallery - Desktop Gadgets.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for the posts.
    The GREAT OZ giveth and then taketh away.
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Gadgets can also be found at their authors' web sites in many cases. Just take the names of your favorites and use them as Google Search Terms. I got updated versions of quite a few Win7 Gadgets in this way, and they work in Win8 (on the "legacy" desktop) as well. The sites are several, so I am not including my own listings here.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor real estate is too valuable

For many users, there is never enough room on the monitor to put everything you want to use at a particular moment. That is why gadgets did not become popular, and why added toolbars are so disliked. Then for those of us who are aging, we like to enlarge the type and other images on the monitor which takes up more space.