Thread: Locked Folders

New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked Folders

Just purchased and installed Windows 7, through Parallels Desktop 7 on my MacBook Air.

Installation was automatic and I only had to put in the key code that came with Microsoft CD. I did not have to register nor activate, it simply works, and I appear as YVANLEFRANC0F34 administrator and user.

I have noticed that I don't have access rights to some folders(LOCKED) like Documents & settings and I cannot make the proper changes through the security tab in the folder's properties. Is that normal with Windows 7 or is there another problem with access rights?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UNFORTUNATELY this is "normal" for Windows 7, to the aggravation of many. You have to "take ownership" to see inside those folders (which others, not me, can tell you how to do because MS makes it difficult). But the thing to know is that these folders are only pointers to other folders that you *can* open and do things with. They are called "junction points" and there are other recent discussions here about them and this annoying turn of events and WHY Microsoft felt it had to set up something like this. You can also google the term "junction points" (with the quote marks).

Kelliann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Documents and settings is replaced by Users in Windows 7 and W7 is going to be very stubborn about letting anyone into D&S. There's nothing there anyway, its just there to help programs that still only understand D&S structure so they properly integrate with the new Users folder structure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would still like to peek into those locked folders and I hope somebody can help me on this

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    They are NOT folders. They are junction points - just pointers to the real folder location. As Infinicore posted, they are just present for legacy compatibility. See some of the links at Bing - Windows 7 junction points for more information.

Joe

Thanks
    If you want to see what's in "Documents and Settings", click on "Users". That's the folder that the Junction Point "Documents and Settings" is pointing to; there are no files or folders in a Junction Point.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The provided links give all the necessary explanations.
    Under the circumstances, I consider this matter closed as far asI am concerned.
    I wish to thank your for your time and devotion.