Thread: XP Activation

Lounger
    Thanks

XP Activation

- suppose I need to reinstall XP at some later date, after support has ended.

Does anyone know if there will be a problem (re)activating XP after support has ended?

Harv

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    No one could know that for sure yet. There have been no announcements about activation that I has seen.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvM View Post
    - suppose I need to reinstall XP at some later date, after support has ended.

Does anyone know if there will be a problem (re)activating XP after support has ended?

Harv
    Provided you have a valid activation code I do not see any issues. I've reinstalled XP numerous times so far without a problem, I doubt Microsoft will just turn it off.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have reinstalled many times on many XP computers, with no problem, I have no intention to move up, (W7 etc) as software on the 11 computers I have may not work on a new OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

can not get new reinstall to take key activation says not the right key

i had to reinstall on the machine of my brothers. a Trojan virus drive by did too much damage to system files was i all system restore files. so i did a new install. i have a hibit of writing key on the cd in case i lost or misplace the key info. will not allow activation at all says i have wrong key. i have tried with 2 difference cds i have. get same on both windows xp pro. links to help on ms site is broken or goes to win 7 help. any ideas or is this ms way of killing ein xp

Thanks
    Do you not have the correct product key on a holographic sticker somewhere on the system unit case (or, if a laptop, perhaps in the battery compartment)? Are you using the correct version of XP, Home or Professional, Retail or OEM?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    When the page comes up to put in the numbers,letters leave it blank.
    Quote from M$;To start the Product Activation Wizard:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
    3. Click System Tools.
    4. Click Activate Windows.

In the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:
    1. Click Use the automated phone system to activate.
    2. Click the drop-down menu, select the nearest location to you, and then click Next.
    3. The Microsoft Product Activation Center phone number is displayed at the top of the window.I hope this helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have the oem sticker before the reinstall it was saying that key was wrong but it was activated but it would not get updates due to wrong key. the system was saying xp system files were damaged. this computer was part of a business network. i have installed sp2 now turned on updates . now the activation key logo is gone and i can not find it in start all programs system tools activate windows is missing. i have been phoning to activate it. i get that it cannot find system id from the id set of numbers refers me to a web site on ms support that is not there any more as it has changed.
    it seems to have fixed itself at for now i hope.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i wonder if it is a volume lic. key that could be my problem we had a bunch of computers at the library that were custom built with same key it was a volume lic. key

Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you have a ligit copy of XP. SO, Try calling MS Activation Centre 888 571 2048
    Let us all know how you make out

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Junked whole thing went back to windows 95 did fdisk went to fat32 format followed win 98 upgrade then. Win me upgrade,then win xp home upgrade xp activated . I do not know what problem was with my 2 xp pro disks. But i got it working for my brother. If it had a dvd rom in it i could take it to vista but it would just meet min. Requirements for that os.