5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Readers react to antivirus 'resource pig' story

LANGALIST PLUS

Readers react to antivirus 'resource pig' story

By Fred Langa

Our Feb. 16 Top Story reviewing resource usage among six free antivirus tools generated a flood of reader mail.
    Here's some follow-on discussion about AV resource use, based mostly on questions and comments about Microsoft Security Essentials.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/readers-react-to-antivirus-resource-pig-story/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, thanks for the articles, good stuff.

For friends, relatives, and former customers, I tend to recommend MSE, it's free, it basically works, it's moderately simple and easy enough for them to use and understand, and unless they change my settings it's not an imposition on their systems inconsistent with their system capabilities. Overall, it's...decent. I normally set then the up with a second AV for running weekly scans, along with a few other things for a 30-minute weekly maintenance rountine. They generally have few, if any, problems unless caught out with some social engineering crap.

For AV info, start with av-comparatives; for firewalls, start with Matousec. In my experience and IMHO, consumer sites are not among the better sources, with one exception: snapfiles (for free- and share-ware). True, though, some of the consumer sites are getting better at doing some actual testing for efficacy, not just looks or ease of use.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great stuff Fred. You speak to me - the would be if I could be geek. Your writings are so important is very easy to understand. My tech life would be in a shambles without you. Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kermidge View Post
    Fred, thanks for the articles, good stuff.

For friends, relatives, and former customers, I tend to recommend MSE, it's free, it basically works, it's moderately simple and easy enough for them to use and understand, and unless they change my settings it's not an imposition on their systems inconsistent with their system capabilities. Overall, it's...decent. I normally set then the up with a second AV for running weekly scans, along with a few other things for a 30-minute weekly maintenance rountine. They generally have few, if any, problems unless caught out with some social engineering crap.

For AV info, start with av-comparatives; for firewalls, start with Matousec. In my experience and IMHO, consumer sites are not among the better sources, with one exception: snapfiles (for free- and share-ware). True, though, some of the consumer sites are getting better at doing some actual testing for efficacy, not just looks or ease of use.
    Matousec is biased and unscientfiic. Do not rely on their published findings, no matter how fancy their window dressing. Some vendors are tipped off in advance of the Matousec tests, and tailor their products to get high scores. The Matousec test bed and malware samples bear little resemblance to real-world Internet conditions and therefore the Matousec results are highly suspect.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-03-01 at 14:57.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Security Essentials antivirus

Hi Fred. Feirst of all I wanted to mention I have been reading your column for many years. I am a computer tech and I will agree that MSE is a very light footed and effective anti-virus solution. As with any software, there are occasional times when you will have a problem with the software, although it is quite rare. This is often caused by hidden windows problems and conflicts with other software. You will run into this with any anti-virus solution on the market today whether it is free or paid. NO anti-virus will catch everything so prudent internet surfing is always a must and is probably the best prevention of infection. Our company has done thousands of virus removals and we have seen almost every brand of virus sostware installed in the infected computers, most of them paid versions. The MSE is just as good if not better then some of the expensive solutions and I agree, it has a small footprint for most people.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a paid security suite, Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete, that is lighter on resources than some only anti viruses. Other real time security apps may be run with it, including other anti viruses. It is about the same as the Prevx technology that Webroot acquired when it bought Prevx.

Though I don't need another real time antimalware program, I installed MSE to see if there were problems running it alongside Webroot SA Complete.

Succinctly, MSE in the default ran smoothly along with Webroot SA Complete. And you can adjust its resource use

The only two free av programs I recommend are MSE and Avast! as primary real time protection; although I recommend MSE first, it's simpler to use, and some folk are whelmed over by the Avast! GUI.
    saint satin stain
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. Emo Philips