Star Lounger
    Thanks

distorted windowsxp startup screen

i have an older toshiba laptop for which the startup screen is distorted. the display fixes itself (usually) by the time windows fires up (except the NVIDIA driver seems to be preventing the computer from going into standby mode). i have reinstalled windows. no help. also tried to reinstall BOIS but the installer won't run since i already have the latest version. is there a way to reinstall the startup display driver (VGASAVE?). it seems like it is a hardware issue, but that doesn't explain why once in windows everything displays fine. i have a soft spot in my heart for this laptop so any suggestions are welcome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saweiss851 View Post
    i have an older toshiba laptop for which the startup screen is distorted. the display fixes itself (usually) by the time windows fires up (except the NVIDIA driver seems to be preventing the computer from going into standby mode). i have reinstalled windows. no help. also tried to reinstall BOIS but the installer won't run since i already have the latest version. is there a way to reinstall the startup display driver (VGASAVE?). it seems like it is a hardware issue, but that doesn't explain why once in windows everything displays fine. i have a soft spot in my heart for this laptop so any suggestions are welcome.

sounds like a hardware problem
    perhaps fixed when the pc heats up

i have similar problems on a very old crt monitor
    which i attribute to old components that are wearing out
    and are on the edge of the correct values for stable operation

you should be able to find and update any driver
    but not sure tht it is a driver problem from your description
    i think it is hardware and heat related