New Lounger
    Thanks

End of file issue

I sometimes get a strange problem with very large files. When I go to the end of the file the display seems to get stuck before the last line and just repeats this line over and over. There is no way of navigating away from this. At first I thought that it was a corrupted file and that material was lost, but I found that saving and closing the file would often correct the problem for a while. I have also found that switching from page view to draft view restores the lost text.The problem does not seem to occur if i add a blank line and paragraph ark at the end of the file - it happens when I am adding text at the very end of a long file. This is a problem I have noticed for many years with different versions of Word.Now that I know how to solve he problem it is not so worrying, but I still wonder what is happening: any thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it related to content you have in the header or footer? If these are empty do you get the same problem?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    With a 'very large file', especially one with lots of graphics on a slow system (eg slow CPU and/or insufficient RAM), Word's pagination functions might be taking so long that the document effectively freezes periodically. An inadequate display driver would compound these problems and could result in the kinds of artefacts you're seeing.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. However, it is nothing to do with headers or footers: the only footer content would be page numbers.It is also nothing to do with graphics: it happens with text files. By 'large' I mean documents with multiple sections to make separate chapters. I think it may be to do with the section and page breaks. Adding a line break at the end of the file seems to stop it happening. This is why I don't think it can be the display driver and is some kind of formatting issue involving conflicts between the various breaks.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    In that case, it's probably a pagination issue involving the printer driver (which Word uses to determine the page layout). Check the maker's website for an updated driver.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's certainly worth checking. I think my driver is up to date, but I suppose that no driver is perfect and there could be some kind of software conflict triggered by a particular combination of multiple breaks occurring at the very end of a file.Thanks