Thanks

IE9 - Cannot open multiple IE windows

I had a client today who was using Windows 7 HP 64-bit and Internet Explorer 9.
    She wants to be able to have multiple IE windows open so she can open them side by side on her screen at the same time, but her system won't do it. I checked her IE settings - this was an unexpected side problem so I didn't research it beforehand, and didn't know about disabling "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" until I got home tonight - but I don't think that is the problem, especially since that option has (when tabbed browsing is disabled) appended to it.
    She initially had tabbed browsing enabled, so I explained how to open and use multiple tabs to her, as a possible alternative, but for the work she is doing I can understand why she would want multiple windows side by side. I tried to open a second window (from Quick Launch) but all that did was to alternately minimize and restore the first window - and this happened with tabbed browsing both enabled and disabled (IE was restarted after each such change).
    I know this is unusual behavior for IE versions up through IE8, but that's the version I use - but I can't imagine that would change with IE9, so I really don't know what might be causing this behavior. I don't think it is the popup blocker, since that deals with opening a window from an existing window - right? Or do you think that might actually be the problem?
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    If she has multiple tabs, she can grab the tabs and drag them to a seperate window so that they will display in a seperate instance of IE. @ tabs will then be 2 IE windows, 3 tabs would be 3 IE windows, etc. This would give her what she wants. Just have her left click and hold the tab while dragging the tab and see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2012-03-07)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... or, to open a new IE window from the Windows 7 taskbar; either right-click the IE icon or left drag up from it, then click Internet Explorer in the jump list.

And the easy way to achieve side-by-side windows is to use Windows 7's built-in snap feature by dragging and dropping the title bar of the first window to anywhere on the extreme left edge, then dragging and dropping the second window to the right edge in the same way: Arrange windows side by side on the desktop using Snap

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2012-03-07)

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions - I was actually hoping to find out about some arcane setting that would just make everything work the way it used to, but with Microsoft's initiative to dumb down the user community and un-enable long-time users, I guess that's not going to happen. I've passed these suggestions on to the user in question - she hasn't responded to say if any of them solved her particular problem, and at this point I don't expect to hear back from her - but many thanks for the assistance!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djmoore View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions - I was actually hoping to find out about some arcane setting that would just make everything work the way it used to, but with Microsoft's initiative to dumb down the user community and un-enable long-time users, I guess that's not going to happen. I've passed these suggestions on to the user in question - she hasn't responded to say if any of them solved her particular problem, and at this point I don't expect to hear back from her - but many thanks for the assistance!
    This is more of a Windows 7 thing than an Internet Explorer thing. She needs to know how to open a new IE9 window and then how to switch between two open IE9 windows.

Taskbar properties, Never combine buttons may help.

Bruce