New Lounger
    Thanks

Launch of Firefox freezes computer

Whenever I launch Firefox for the first time in a session it freezes windows. The disc light comes on solid for a good minute, at least, and then everything goes back to normal. I have an Acer Aspire 8920 with Windows 7. Windows and Firefox are up-to-date with the latest versions. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    I guess this is from a Firefox profile that has seen several versions of Firefox. I would use the 'safe mode' of Firefox to begin troubleshooting: hold down the Left Shift key as you click the Firefox icon to start, you should see a new, small window, select 'start Firefox in safe mode'. Alternative method(s) here at Mozillazine.
    Windows

Use one of these methods to start your Mozilla application in Safe Mode. This should not be confused with restarting the computer in Windows Safe Mode!

In current Mozilla application versions, hold down the Shift key while double-clicking the Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey icon. (If the Profile Manager opens, select a profile and then hold down the Shift key again while clicking the "Start Firefox" button.) [3] [4]

In older versions, use the "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)", "SeaMonkey (Safe Mode)", "Mozilla Thunderbird (Safe Mode)", or "Mozilla Thunderbird (No Extensions)" shortcut in the Mozilla Firefox, SeaMonkey, or Mozilla Thunderbird program folder on the Windows Start Menu.

As an alternative method, select "Start -> Run" (on Windows 7/Vista, enable the Run box, as described here) and enter the following in the Windows Run box:

For Firefox, one of these:

firefox -safe-mode
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
    Further links to Firefox issues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you recently installed an add-on? Or installed a software that asked you to install an add-on for your browsers? Sometimes these add-ons could cause problems. You could reboot firefox in safemode, explained here : http://www.techyv.com/questions/fire...t-would-freeze. But first, check if there's a new add-on then try removing it. Good Luck