Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Win 8 CP Observations

Hi Ya'll,

First see my RANT here.

Please note that .NET 3.51 is NOT installed in Win 8 DP. I loaded EasyBCD to see if it would work and it wanted to install .NET 3.51. I declined and added it via Programs & Features. I'll report back when the install is done if EasyBCD works.

Also note that although running Windows Defender {replacement name for MSE} does not show up in the Notifications Area you have to open the Action Center/Security to see that it is running.

Ok, you can't change the user picture in Control Panel anymore!
    UserAccounts.PNG
    You do it on the Start Page by clicking the user name. Ok, I can accept the new way but why take away the old way we are all used to.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-03-01 at 15:41.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The installation was a little different from what I am accustomed to as well. In the past I burned the iso file to dvd, loaded the dvd and rebooted. During the install you chose Custom and chose where to install. With the Win 8 CP that was not the case. I loaded the Win 8 CP into the drive while in Win 8 DP and the install started. (When I attempted this the install while booted to Win 7 the install was about to start in my Win 7 partition, no, no) I did not have the choice on where to install. No problem otherwise. Install went fine.

Operation is a little different. Switching from Metro to desktop is more flawless and I have not found the method to turn Metro off (the method used in Win 8 DP does not work). It appears the Start Orb is gone as anticipated on the desktop. I have a Shortcuts folder on my Taskbar to start most apps but this will get burdomsome with many apps installed. I can always go back to Metro for that.

This is a VERY early comparison. I've only used Win 8 CP for an hour or so. More to follow.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    EasyBCD Report back:

Ok, EasyBCD does work although a bit differently than expected.
    The machine I'm testing Win 8 CP on was dual boot with XP on Drive 0 and Ubuntu 12.10 on Drive 1 using GRUB as the boot loader.
    Of course, installing Win 8 CP overwrote the XP Partition and Boot Loader.
    I installed EasyBCD 2.1.x and .Net 3.5.1 per OP.
    On first attempt to use BCD to load the Ubuntu I selected GRUB, big Mistake.
    On second attempt I selected GRUB 2 and everything worked just fine.

Please note however the Dual Boot process is much different than on any other OS I have ever used.
    When the machine boots it appears to boot Windows {bird logo & rotating dots} but then the OS selection menu shows up, also very different.
    Win8CP Dual Boot Menurs.jpg
    When you select Ubuntu Linux the machine actually re-boots and then the Grub menu shows up still showing the XP entry since it auto configured and read the menu as previously installed. However, Ubuntu booted just fine.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hi Ya'll,

First see my RANT here.

Please note that .NET 3.51 is NOT installed in Win 8 DP. I loaded EasyBCD to see if it would work and it wanted to install .NET 3.51. I declined and added it via Programs & Features. I'll report back when the install is done if EasyBCD works.

Also note that although running Windows Defender {replacement name for MSE} does not show up in the Notifications Area you have to open the Action Center/Security to see that it is running.

Ok, you can't change the user picture in Control Panel anymore!
    UserAccounts.PNG
    You do it on the Start Page by clicking the user name. Ok, I can accept the new way but why take away the old way we are all used to.
    Perhaps it's because I installed directly over Win 8 DP or something. I did not make this change but:

UAC Picture.jpg

Or perhaps I'm just very special!!!

Cheers

Ted
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-03-02 at 19:08.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted,

I did do a clean install. You can change your picture by clicking on your name on the Start Page and it will then show up in User Account Control but you can't change it there.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    OK, and here I thought I was special. Way to burst my bubble. This is also the picture on my Windows Sign In page.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted