New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Targus USB 2.0 docking station video problem

Hi...this is my first post, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Our minister has a brand-new Dell Inspiron 15" laptop running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I've done this twice: I follow the Targus installation procedure--load drivers, then attach docking station (nothing plugged in to it) and let the drivers update. I power off, hook up the monitor, keyboard, mouse and ethernet cable to the dock and reboot. There is a Targus icon in the tray that lets me turn off the laptop screen and set the 23" external monitor as the primary. Keyboard, mouse, network and monitor now work.

Then a message pops up, saying that the laptop needs to be rebooted in order to complete updates. The updates are not specified. I reboot--and the external monitor stops working. The screen says "no input." There is no longer a Targus icon in the tray. The keyboard, mouse and network cable all function, but it's as if the DVI port has been shut off.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Foxaroni

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foxaroni View Post
    Hi...this is my first post, so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

There is no longer a Targus icon in the tray. The keyboard, mouse and network cable all function, but it's as if the DVI port has been shut off.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    foxaroni,
    Hello...and Welcome! First what graphics driver is being used? if it's Windows see screen shot Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Connect to an external display ...and check your settings... If it's a 3rd party program like "Nvidia" Right click on an empty part of your desktop and go to Nvidia control panel and do the same ( check settings) Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

foxaroni (2012-03-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Fred...many thanks for the reply.

The docking station uses a DisplayLink driver. Otherwise, the laptop uses Intel HD Graphics 3000, so the standard Windows control panel is not available. After the Targus monitor port stops working and I open the Intel video panel, Intel does not see the external monitor--just the laptop screen.

Again, thanks for replying.

Foxaroni

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foxaroni View Post
    I open the Intel video panel, Intel does not see the external monitor--just the laptop screen.
    foxaroni,
    Hello...When you open the Intel video control panel are there any adjustments ( screens \ Tabs etc. ) that you can make ? Regards Fred

PS: I'll do some searching around on the "Targus unit"

PPS: One other thought...after booting up try and go to "Start Orb"> "All Programs" and search for an entry "Targus" ( or whatever it installed itself as) ..if there is an entry you may have to open it and run the program as an "Administrator" ( right click on it ).If no entry is present , check in "Computer" >Program Files both (x86) as well, and look for the entry there (Targus etc.) open the folder and select the ".exe" entry and try running it as an "Administrator" . It may be that you have to run the program "Once" as an "Admin" after installing. Also possibly you may have to setup an Administrator account logon (Password type)
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-03-02 at 11:32.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)