New Lounger
    Thanks

Out of memory at line xxx

Windows XP, fully updated, 3.2 gHz, 2gig memory, Dell 8400. Internet Explorer Version 8.

On many (not all) web sites, I constantly get an error popup of 'Out of memory at line xxx' where xxx is a number. The number can vary from 1 to something less than 100. I have to click on the OK box to proceed at the website. On some, this only happens the first time into the site, or others, I will continue to get the error as I browse.

This started a few months ago. I really think it is a Adobe Flash IE addon problem, and something about how the site has programmed use of Flash. And maybe only Win XP and Flash. Googleing only returns discussions from several years ago, and this error happened on Facebook some time ago. I find nothing new about this.

Please don't tell me I need more main memory. For this machine and running XP, 2gig is a lot of memory. I don't think my graphic card memory is causing this either. It is a Radeon X300 with 128meg memory. As I said, it only started a few months ago.

I have un-installed and downloaded the latest Flash program several times. This doesn't do any good.

Anyone have an idea what's happen here? And any solution?

Thanks
    bolivar

Thanks
    Do you have the latest Java version installed?

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Java is Version 6, Update 31, Build 1.6.0_31_b05. Java Update says this is the latest version.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't anyone have an idea about my problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, no one here is giving any ideas about my problem.

Does anyone know where I might post this problem and get help on this IE problem?

Thanks for any help....

bolivar

Thanks
    Found this:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...6-dce8a277ae41

Also try running IE with no addons to see if its an add on problem:
    Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1) At answers.microsoft.com it recommends "Try Tools>Compatibility View Settings, check "Include updated website lists from Microsoft"
    I am already running this option checked.

2) Running IE (No Add-ons) does not help. I get same Out of Memory error on the web site that always throws it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does this happen with a single browser? Are you sure it's a browser error and not a site problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've only used IE, never another browser. (What is the recommended alternative to IE, Chrome?)

It's definitely a 'site' problem. The title of the error is 'Message from Webpage' with the body of the error being the 'Out of Memory at line xxx' message.

A local TV station's news site always throws the message when I read news items. I visit ebaumsworld (Ok, admitting this is somewhat embarressing...) site and it always throws the error when I enter and leave the site and when starting and leaving any video on the site. But it is also thrown by various other sites I browse. I think I've even seen it when viewing videos on the CNN news site. But many other sites, such as this one, do not throw the error.

It's some combination of my Win XP, IE 8 (Java and/or Flash???), and the coding on the website I'm browsing. My wife has a one year old Dell laptop with Win 7 and IE 9 and never sees this error.

If it was just throwing the error, I could probably live with this. But the error pops up and I have to click on the OK to close the error before the web site will continue with its display.

I've always stuck with whatever Microsoft has provided, but this continuing problem will probably drive me to another browser. As noted above, I am open to recommendations about which browser I should change to.

Larry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Larry,

I would recommend that you try the site with Chrome. On XP, I would definitely use Chrome as the main browser, as IE 8 is so old. I can use IE 9, but to be totally honest, I find myself using Chrome more and more. Chrome is now my de facto browser, as I got tired of the IE gobbling up memory until it stops working normally.

If the situation stops occurring when you use Chrome, then you will know IE is to blame and you will have also found a solution - use Chrome instead of IE.