3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Small problems with W7

I'm just getting used to W7 after many long years of XP, nearly coming to terms with the new "features!" I have 2 small niggles, well only two that I'll mention here. The first is the clock, when first installed it showed the date and time, I don't mean by hovering, it was right there. Now for some unknown reason it has reverted to very generic, just the time. I can adjust the date and time, but how can I get it to show both?

The other niggle is the plethora of icons in the tray. Again when first installed they were hidden until the cursor hovered over the tray, now they're spread out over half the task bar. How do I corral them back?

Thanks for any insight,

David

Thanks
    Well first, the icons. You could actually try to shut down some of the plethora of stuff starting with Windows. most of this stuff isn't really necessary running in the background and consumes copious amounts of resources. A small app called What's In Startup works wonders to help get rid of some of this stuff. (The download link is down a ways on the page). The small ^ and choose customize to hide some of those icons.

See if this How To Geek article helps with the Time/Date problem
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    For the Date/time display: go to Control Panel>Regional and Language settings, then into advanced and adjust the date/time display from there.

For the apps in the notification area, click on the up arrow and select Customise. Select to display only when active for each app (or whatever you need).

/edit/

Beaten to it by Ted!
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-03-01 at 18:36. Reason: Slow off the mark tonight

Thanks
    Fast fingers...Ha, and I added a couple of links!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I do intend to clean up the start up aps, jv16 does a great job, just feeling my way around before I get ruthless. And thanks for the time/date info.

David

Thanks
    Don't forget to make an imaged based backup when you do feel ruthless

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just had a look at "Control Panel>Regional and Language settings, then into advanced" But I don't have any Advanced link. The options are to set the time, the time zone, and the time format. But I don't seen anything to set the clock that appears in the Tray.

David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try right clicking on an empty space on the task-bar and choose properties. Check that 'use small icons' is not ticked as if it is then there will not be enough space for both clock and date. Then follow Teds link if you want to customize the date format.

While in properties click on customize for the notification area and untick 'always show icons and notifications on the task-bar. on the task-bar'
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-01 at 23:46.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    Just had a look at "Control Panel>Regional and Language settings, then into advanced" But I don't have any Advanced link. The options are to set the time, the time zone, and the time format. But I don't seen anything to set the clock that appears in the Tray.

David
    Look for the "additional settings " button this will take you to the advance settings
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all, it was the small icons that was the problem.

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=CLiNT;843610]Don't forget to make an imaged based backup when you do feel ruthless [/QUOTE

Your comment on making an image brought the recent past sorely to mind, and I thought that the following might be of interest to other lounge members.

When it comes to images I've been a believer for years, never had to use one in anger until a couple of weeks ago, but... I was using XP Pro, and happy enough with it. I've always kept a small C drive, basically just the OS, programs on D partition, data on E partition. It suited the way I work and for easy back-up. Over time C was getting tight, I needed a bit more space. This is something I've done a few times over the years, but to be sure to be sure I made an image. Then I used Spotmau Power Tools partition manager. To re-size C I first had to reduce D to make space. D re-sized no problem, but when I tried to increase the size of C nothing happened. I could see in the drive map that there was space between C & D, but no way could I select C. I was puzzled, but not really worried, yet. Hey, I had an image. I decided to undo the changes. That seemed to work, on the map everything was back where it started. Re-booted and got, "No operating system found."

I wasn't happy, but I did have that image. When I tried to restore the image using Image for DOS I got another nasty surprise. "Not enough space..." or words to that effect. I booted up with Easus. What a surprise. What had been C was now split into two parts, 6GB Unallocated, and 10GB with a drive letter D. There was a 6GB partition that must have come from the original D, it had * instead of a drive letter. What had been D was now C, what had been E was now D.

Using Easus I was able to cobble the bits that had been C back together again, re-assigning drive letters along the way. Feeling more than a little pleased with my efforts I tried to restore the image. "Not enough space..." So, I had to start from scratch, which is how I come to be struggling to get up to speed on Win 7. I have made another image too, but you know images don't seem quite as bullet proof as they once did!

David]