Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Windows 8 No Start Button - Easy solution.

So how is it for you? The lack of Start Button freaked you out yet?

Well in fact it seems to make sense the more I look at it. The Metro Interface is the Start menu. You can move entries around and add and remove apps as you need. Getting to the Start menu (the Metro Interface) is easier than trying to hover over an invisible hot spot in the corner. Just press the Windows Key on the keyboard and you switch to Metro. Press it again and you are back to the desktop.

That little Windows Key has, in one swoop, made me think that there may be life in this OS yet. It still needs a lot of work (horrible solid blocked colours etc) and will take a lot of getting used to. I think that many will be left behind on legacy OS's, but for those who want (or in my case will need to use it), one key makes all the difference.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    T.T.,

I found one I like, Right-Click on the word Start then click the All apps button that pops up on the bottom of the screen. It's almost the All Programs menu.

Update: Actually you can right-click in any free space on the Start page.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-03-01 at 19:48.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    When on Desktop...

If, you Rt clk in the bottom-left corner you will get a menu you will like a lot!! Take a look.

Drew

Thanks
    Welcome Drew. Nice to see you over here. Glad you finally found the Lounge. This in essence is the System Management tools for all practical purposes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    RG, That falls under the category of "too much information" It shows all installed apps and and all control panel items. In Windows 7, I could click on the start orb and the all programs to get a list of just all programs. After modifying the start menu to show Control panel as a menu, I could get a list of just all control panel applets by just clicking on the start orb and then Control panel. I see no benefit in mixing the two. I haven't found a convenient way to get a full list of just Control Panel applets in Windows 8.

In windows 8, what I usually do is hit the Windows key and start typing the name of the program or Control Panel applet and let Windows search find it. In Windows 7, I do the same thing by clicking on the Start Orb and start typing. Both methods are a wash as far as I can tell.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Lest not forget something fairly crucial, here... this is Windows8 under discussion in this part of the forum. It walks like a duck, talks like a duck... it's a duck. This OS does not look like 7, doesn't work like 7... cus it 's not 7. 7 is terrific but, 8 is not 7, never will be... dress it up like crazy... it's, never going to be a duck... it will, still, always be Windows8. Ergo, here, let's deal w/ 8, on it's own merits. It has heaps of merits that should not be neglected or overshadowed or missed due to dwelling & harping on Start. Mostly we live in Desktop, anyway. There are lots of ways & reasons Win8 goes very nicely. I've used it non-stop for a week & the DP since mid September. Its design is not dumb, problematic or difficult. It's smooth, quick & clever. And it does not need a bloody orb, geeesh… let's move on & focus on Windows8, ITS performance & ITS pizazz.

Drew

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kill metro.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2012-03-09 at 08:48. Reason: Watch it with those profane acronyms!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    What's w/ the big hate? We spend our time on Desktop not, Start. Used the DP for months & the Beta solidly for 10 days... hardly ever visit Start, occasionally to maybe Search something ... if, not using Keyboard for that; or, even more rarely, might go grab an App. As for Start, after getting rid of unwanted/unneeded tiles, arranging what was left, Pinning a few things to Taskbar, setting up Quick Launch's content & how 1 can navigate Windows8... doesn't leave much reason for visiting Start... let alone getting all bent out of shape over it. Not much use for Start, since can get or get to most everything from or whilst on Desktop. Heck, my machine boots right through Start & straight to the Desktop... to where we (actually) work & spend our time.

& , although I was pleased to get Shutdown & Restart buttons @ my fingertips, instead of Win + I or Charms & Settings to get the Power button... there is no need for an orb or other such stuff from other (previous) OSs.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey All,

I'm from the Burger King school of Operating Systems..."I Want it MY Way!". That's why I don't use Apples {previous comment not meant to start a flame war just my opinion}. I never have liked Microsofts defaults and used things like the QAT, Task Bar Menus, Registry Hacks, etc., to get it My Way. Did I mention I belong to the "Clean Desktop" crowd. That's what I've always liked about Windows I could "Fix-It" {pun intended} and I'll probably continue to do so. YMMV a whole lot!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the hate has to do with the non-opt-out. one can easily do it with ie10 for example, programs under internet settimngs in ie, have it ron as ie on desktop always, it looks like win7 ie more or less, the changes aee not to a small form factor regime.

the specific is as you say, start and shutdown is quicker with a button as I have it in win 8 with third party stuff than with a "swipe" a charm and go forward...with one of the icons/charms being incredibly cryptic as far as I\' concerned and the others less satisfactory than a menu with words not just icons/charms. not a big deal no but its the principle of the thing. what will a future office look like if its chsarns and touch? I hate to imagine on the desktop facing that in an ap like office...

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Welcome to the future ... we are living it... we all, on this rock.

Not really a big deal... images are everywhere in our modern lives... folks globally know what they mean, they are like words but, languages agnostic. So there pictures in a computer... so what? it's the same as words, we know what they mean, either. It needs be no more of a mystery than it need to be a big deal or a big problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    folks global should learn english. or pick some other single language and i'll learn it too. nations got to go