New Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore failure

I haven't been able to use the key, much-needed System Restore Windows feature for about two years. Thinking back, it might be since I installed Win 7. I've spent countless hours seeking a fix for this vexing problem with no success.
    I've googled, posted on every imagineable forum, sought answers from the Microsoft Help Desk. I've run countless chkdsk/r and sfc /scannow. I hope to avoid the nightmare of a clean Windows install, only as a desperate last resort to use System Restore.
    I have several spyware programs that are run manually and only one antivirus (Norton Internet Security 2011), as only one AV program should be run in the system.
    Attached are screenshots of messages I usually receive when attempts to restore the system fail. I will be eternally grateful to find a fix. I can't even guess how many times I've desperately needed a system restore. Thanks very much for your ideas. ec
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have gone through all those steps, maybe only a repair install will solve it. You won't lose your programs and data, when you do it. Instructions available here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day Ruirib. I got my XP disk streamed with SP3, runs fine. How can I stream SP1 on a W-7 disk ? Is there a site to access the required data ?
    I know you would know. Be good and thanks. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Good day Ruirib. I got my XP disk streamed with SP3, runs fine. How can I stream SP1 on a W-7 disk ? Is there a site to access the required data ?
    I know you would know. Be good and thanks. JP.
    No need to stream it, Jean, just get an ISO with SP1, from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/
    T
    hey are legitimate and the one that matches the edition for which you have a key, will work with that key.

Regards

Rui

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Senor, quetal ? After I typed my message to you, I Googled for this and found it at the same address that you just posted. I let my fingers do the walking. I now have the .iso burned to a DVD and if ever I need to recoup a bad machine of the 7 I care for, I will be all setup.

http://techdows.com/2011/07/download...oad-links.html

Is the site where I found it, different URL but the very same site. Thanks a mega and I am sorry for taking your time when I could have shown some initiative and find it on my own. Have a great day. Regards³. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    No problem, Jean, take care .

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Would you not know it ? I just got a blue screen, a disk error occured and shut down. I was sure glad that yesterday, I got this streamed SP1 on W-7. I gave it a click on Repair your computor and I am back into use. I have a clone of the C:\ on a D:\ HD but it would not clone it, I then resolved to Repair the machine. As you can see, it got going and now runs. Thanks for your pointer of yesterday, Ruirib. Be good. JP.
    NB: I will now do a CHKDSK on C:\.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Ruirib, I come to you today with a personal problem. My W-7 died on me a couple of days ago. I got a message, flashed on the screen for 1/2 a second, that there had been a disk failure and the machine would not restart again, it stayed on the Winflash screen, you know the 4 colered waiving flags. I got my W-7 DVD out, I had just streamed it to SP1, and did a repair, all to the good.
    Now, I get a bootmanager screen to select Windows 7 or Windows Seven Recovered or to press F8 for a multi choices. The machine runs fine, I did a CHKDSK and missed the message of what it did as it took a long time and I had left. I would like to get rid of this warning, if at all possible. Would you think that tunning a FIXMBR would do the trick ? This is a manoeuvre that is not used too often and I forget how to do this, please let me know.
    Hoping that all is fine with you. I am all eyes here, let me have it. ;-) JP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi handcuff36
    Sound to me if you got more than one error message saying disk error maybe your hard disk is on its way out. Maybe a good idea to try and get another one.

You could also type "msconfig" (no quotes) in start menu box and open it. Go to the boot tab where the two boot options should be listed. If you know which one boots best you can delete the other one so not get the option menu on boot-up.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-07 at 12:42.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    See this to read you chkdsk results on Windows 7:
    http://janetalkstech.com/2009/window...-chkdsk-report

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jerry and thanks for this effort. It is all related to XP. " http://janetalkstech.com/2009/window...-chkdsk-report ". I could not see anything related to W-7. I am still investigating and also trying to get a new-to-me HD SATA, on eBay, just in case Cclive is right and the HD is on its last days. Time will tell, I am still on it and no more blue screen. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Clive, hello. With a name like Clive, I knew that you were brit. Good for you. I was tought english by a Cockney. ;-)
    I had a look at msconfig and still have not done your solution, it looks like it would work. I tried once more the normal option from bootmanager and again it died, so I am now using the second option, the "Corrected" one and all is fine. I would still like to get rid of that faulty one, not just by-pass it with the delete option in msconfig. What say you ?
    Have a large day, night ? JP.

Thanks
    Jean:
    Hello, Jerry and thanks for this effort. It is all related to XP
    The link I gave you was for Windows 7, not XP. Its definitely in the Event Viewer under Wininit as described in the link. I used it myself.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I did it. I got into Gparted and cleaned the SATA HD, after this, I tried to clone it back but it refused the process. I then loaded the W-7 DVD and tried to reinstal the OS, it also refused this. Needless to say, I now do think that the HD is history. I got into the BIOS and flipped it to "NONE" and the smart machine turned to the F:\ HD that was my clone destination and is now using it as C:\, I am in operation at the moment. I have a new SATA coming to me from eBay. This cloning is the cat's meow !
    The SATA still shows in My Computor as F:\, I might work on it today as an experiment, not expecting too much.
    Thanks all for moral support. JP.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. Further to my last post, I tried to test this SATA HD and could not even get past the 0-0 sector. I tried G-Parted and it would not format it, I then got Gibson's Spinright to look at it and it also sat on 0-0 for ages. It definitely is gonzoed. I have "NONE'd" it in the BIOS and am running off the cloned destination. I am expecting a new HD in the mail. Just for fun ! Be good.