New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help setting up a wireless network.

Lets hope I can explain this properly. I bought my parents a laptop and I want to set up a wireless network so they can access the internet through my PC. The laptop is Win7 the PC is XP. I want to set up the router in my bedroom where the PC is. My question is. Do I have to hook the router up to both the cable modem an the PC or can I just hook the router up to the cable modem and not to the PC. The reason being. My cable connection is on one wall and computer is not on that wall. Right now. I run the cable wire from the wall outlet to the cable modem. The cable wire has to cross the doorway to my walk-in closet and bathroom. I was hoping to move the router and cable modem to the wall where the cable come out the wall so that I don't have the wire running along the floor of the doorway to my closet and bathroom.

I hope this makes sense as I am not great at explaining things.
    Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    The router only needs to be connected to the cable modem, even if for the initial setup, it probably could be easier if you connected it with a cable to the computer too. Any computer can be connected to the router wirelessly only.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2012-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I did some more research and I can set it up to the computer for the initial set up and then disconnect the wire to the computer. I don't have a network card in the one computer yet so I will install it on the computer first then on that computer. I'm going to install a USB network and set that up to pick up the modem. The laptop has a network card in it so I'll connect that to the router after I install the others.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The router just needs one initial configure, from any of the computers in your network. It doesn't need to be setup from any other computers.
    On that initial setup, be sure to choose a WPA based encryption and then configure each of your computers to access the wireless network using this encryption.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2012-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Ruirib. I read a lot about the WPA and WPA-2 encryption. This was even before I thought of setting one up. I just wasn't clear on setting up the initial setup. But here is another question. Right now the computer that I am setting it up on doesn't have a network card in it. I was going with a USB network on it. Does that have to be installed 1st or after I set up the router 1st then install the USB adapter? The direction looks as though I have to set up the router 1st but I'm not sure if that is for setting it up on network already working and not one that I'm just setting up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

You mean you are setting up an USB wireless network card, or a wired one?

If you don't have a network now, which seems you don't, I would setup the router according to the setup instructions that come with it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm setting up a USP wireless one that will be on the desk top computer. The laptop which is in another room already has a network card in it but my desktop didn't. The guy at the store suggested to use a USB card. I'll just set up the router 1st then install the USB in the desktop. If it doesn't work. I'll remove that set-up and try setting up the USB. If that doesn't work. I'll find someone to set it up lol. Thanks for all your help. You have given me some good feedback.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Probably the easiest way to configure it is to use the setup instructions that came with it. If you provide the router model, it will be easy to find the manual online and I can provide more detailed help.

The recommended setup, even with a manufacturer provided CD, is done through a wired connected computer. Of course, the router can also be accessed wirelessly, if you know the default address and admin password. Knowing that is not really needed if you use the wired connected computer.

Anyway, if you tell us the router model, more detailed help can be provided, if you need it.

Good luck .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2012-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been reading the manual that came with the router. My ISP also has a help section with a manual on setting up a wireless network. It is a printable version so I can print that out and match it up with the manual that came on the CD with the router. If I run into any problems I'll post about it here on this tread. I think I am going to back up my system and re-install windows 1 st. It has been a few years since I have done it and it is in need of a fresh new start. So my weekend project will be to to a clean install of windows and all the programs then set this up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great, let us know how it goes .

Thanks
    Here is some help also from M$;http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/w...reless-network
    The best of luck to you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

Cando69 (2012-03-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chowur and Ruirib. Sorry for the long delay. I've decided on building a new computer before I setup the network. This comp is starting to act up. I built it in 2001 and the hard drive is starting to go and I figure it is due time for a new computer. I'm still waiting for some of the stuff to be delivered. I'll get back to you when I get the part and get the computer going.