Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Where have my files gone?

I am totally stumped (not to mention a tad panicked). Went to locate a file in a folder on my PC (Windows 7, SP1) and couldn't find either the file or the sub-folder - or any of the other sub-folders that were all there 2 days ago for sure. Next step was to head to MozyHome, a cloud-based backup, to restore the folders ... none of them were there either! I have been relying on Mozy for data backup and have had success restoring inadvertently deleted files/folders previously.

Here's what I've tried:
    • recycle bin: nothing there
    • PC off and on
    • system restore (just in case): strange thing here in that both attempts to restore failed (never had that happen to me before)
    • searched through all other folders in case somehow missing ones got moved.

I'm out of ideas. All else is working fine on the PC as far as I can tell. Naturally, the missing files are numerous and critical ones. I know, given that, I should have had more than the Mozy backup, but I just didn't, at least not recently enough to be of help now.

Is there anywhere else I can look? Or do?

Linda

P.S. Just ran Belarc Advisor which said the drive was healthy.
    P.P.S. - Weird. Just tried to find a folder via Windows Search box at Start menu. What does this mean? How can I find out where the little beggar is hiding?
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-03-02 at 18:55. Reason: Added P.S. with more info.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great news! I found the folders! Never thought of trying Windows simple search box. I just did and tried a folder name. The folder and all its contents appeared. I then clicked Save As to check its path .... and found I'd somehow stuck the main folder into another folder. Opening it revealed all my missing folders and their contents.

I'm now heading off to back up on a DVD as well.

Phew,

Linda

Thanks
    It's easy to accidentally drag and drop to another folder. We have probably all done it. That's why double or triple backups on critical stuff is really important!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    How right you are, Ted. Just backed up the whole of My Documents on DVD and found the missing folders, misfiled, on the Mozy backup, too. Oh, and put the little beggars back in the folder where they belong.

There's a first time for everything - glad I'm not the only person who has done this. For now, I'm still experiencing the thrill of being saved from calamity .. and being reminded - in a safe way - to back up often and in a variety of ways (as every Lounger advises!).

Thanks for your comments.

Linda