Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Does mse protect non ms products?

Does Microsoft Security Essential protect f

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    MSE protects the entire computer it is running on. It will of course only run on Windows OSes!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you. better be sure than be sorry since they are competing products to MS's.

Thanks
    I have found MS MSE to be very dependable, very unobtrusive, very low resource user that just sits there doing it's job. It works very well in Win 7 and Vista. It does work in XP although I have heard of more problems with XP. It has been renamed back to Windows Defender in Win 8 CP and is installed by default.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    oh dear, i wanted to try it out in my XP. what sort of problems did users faced. is there any place/forum i can check out XP users' experience that you know of?
    thank you
    spec

Thanks
    Just try it and see if it works for you. If not, uninstall it. On some systems it tends to use more resources than on others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    As Ted says it's machine dependent. I've successfully used MSE w/o problem on 2 different XP machines { A Dell 2400 & Dell 9100 }. YMMV!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have found MS MSE to be very dependable, very unobtrusive, very low resource user that just sits there doing it's job. It works very well in Win 7 and Vista. It does work in XP although I have heard of more problems with XP. It has been renamed back to Windows Defender in Win 8 CP and is installed by default.
    Windows Defender for Windows 8 is not the same as MSE. It has been updated and improved to give more protections than MSE has. ( DETAILS ) Personally, I found that the Smart Screen Filter when applied across all of Windows 8 Desktop Applications, stops many useful utilities, such as GPU-z, from installing and running, so I disabled it for the Desktop, but kept it for IE10.

On Windows XP, I've found that boot and login issues asociated with starting up the MSE Services on a single-core laptop have occurred, but otherwise, MSE works just fine.

And as we are saying, MSE protects all areas, even 64-bit programs, on Windows PCs. On Windows 8, Windows Defender even protects "Legacy" Applications and Drivers and their associated Windows areas.

As Beta software, Win 8 CP is not ready for third-party AV/AS products. Found that out the hard way with Avast 7 (also a Beta). Totally disabled the Windows 8 System Kernel (bad Driver Signatures, most likely).

Super Antispyware won't even install as a 64-bit program into Win 8 CP. But it can scan Win 8 CP from within Win 8 by making a shortcut to the SAS location in another partition (if you are dual-booting) and running the SAS Updater locally in Win 8 CP. The scanner then runs in 64-bit mode, but will also scan Memory and Registry of the local Win 8 CP installation. (Definitions are kept locally per user in SAS.) I would not trust SAS to properly scan the Win 8 CP Metro Interface, although all the Apps are located in places where they could be getting scanned just fine. Or perhaps not. Too soon to know for sure.

Other third-party security programs should not be tested yet in Win 8 CP, no matter what the vendors are saying about full compatibility.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-03-06 at 04:56.
    -- Bob Primak --