Thread: No uninstall?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No uninstall?

I downloaded the Windows 8 Consumer Preview last night. I ran it through the compatability check and the file preparation process.

While this was happening, I browsed Google, looking at a few articles and reviews. I decided that I needed to give the installation more thought, as I wasn't comfortable with the look and feel on my desktop.

Would you believe that Microsoft did not provide an uninstall option for the pre-installation package? How bad is that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This is beta software, you need to be aware of that before using it. Beta software is not production software. Even with production software, you should backup your system before such a radical move, to make sure you can go back to where you were, if you change your mind or something goes wrong.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't install Windows 8. I just wanted to uninstall everything the Preview setup created for installing Windows 8. One would think that Microsoft would install an entry in Programs and Features for this reason.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would think they didn't really thought that would be a likely option.

You can always try a system restore. It should remove any reference from the registry and then you can just delete the files, if you know where they are.

Thanks
    Why bother. This stuff is most likely in temp folders. MS generally uses temp folders for setup files. Use Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to cleanup all temp folders. This should clean up all the setup files.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, not temp files and folders so Disk Cleanup and/or CCleaner is of no use. The majority is in "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WebSetup\" where there's a number of files and subdirectories. It also creates the initial install package in "C:\WindowsESD". I deleted both folders. The installation program did not create a restore point, unfortunately. There may be other remnants.

Not the best effort by Microsoft in this instance.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah that's true it is beta and be aware of loosing something if you wanna install Windows 8 ps. Windows 8 its awesome
    Last edited by millka579; 2012-03-23 at 05:45.