New Lounger
    Thanks

Question XP goes immediately into Power Saver mode on bootup

Yesterday I switched on my Dell Inspiron w/ XP Home Edition, but found that all I get is a message on the monitor saying "1 Auto Detect Entering Power Save" and then nothing but a blank screen. For about 1/2 second I see the laser light in my mouse come on, but then that dies too, as well as the light on my hard drive. So since it's not even booting up fully with no other info sent to the screen I can't really do much in terms of using normal Windows or hardware debugging options. The machine sounds fine, with the fans appearing to be operating normally.

Actions taken so far, all to no avail:
    Unplugged power to PC and monitor overnight
    Reseated all cards
    Replaced battery on motherboard
    Unplugged all USB devices
    Tried hitting F8 during bootup, hoping I could get into some safe mode. I can't tell if this might work because I obviously can't see anything on the monitor so can't select options, etc.

Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this vexing problem?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnothimagain View Post

Any suggestions for what I can do to fix this vexing problem?
    "ohno"

Hello... Do you have access to another power supply? You could then swap out .....If not i would get hold of a "Multi Meter ", power on and check your voltages, sounds like something is going "south". Also while you have the case open... look for "Bulging Capacitors" might be a clue Regards Fred

PS: The screen shot might help with the approximate voltages on your PC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Does the PC start up with the normal single beep? Or another combination of beeps?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JP Fred,
    Thanks for the tip and voltages. Unfortunately, I recently recycled all my old computers, so no spare parts on hand - guess I tempted fate, huh? I will try checking voltages if no other alternatives appear. My electrical skills may cause more harm than good...

Browni,
    Thanks for mentioning the beep; I forgot to mention that in my diagnostic info. The machine makes no beep sound whatever. I'm not familiar with reading "beeps", is this significant? The fans power up normally then it settles into it's normal "operating" sounds, I just get nothing on the monitor and the mouse is dead.

A Google search indicated people fixed the same problem by doing things ranging from vacuuming out the computer interior to replacing every component imaginable, including the motherboard.

Thanks
    Sure does sound like a PS problem as Fred has surmised. This would be the first thing to try.

Dell has an online T/S manual to look at. This happens to be for the 530 series, but I suspect they have similar for others. I just did a Google search for "dell inspiron beep errors at boot" If you add your model # perhaps you could narrow down something for your model.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Thanks very much. I'm looking into tracking down a new P/S, and we'll just try it and see what it does.

Thanks
    Another thought, have you tried clearing the CMOS settings?

The link below gives details on how to do it on another Dell system but the principle is the same.

Clearing Passwords and CMOS Settings

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it, but no joy. Still instantly goes into power saving mode. I'm working the power supply angle now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For the record, the problem was not caused by the power supply. I replaced the original but with the same results. I'm thinking it's either the motherboard or the hard drive. Any suggestions?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnothimagain View Post
    For the record, the problem was not caused by the power supply. I replaced the original but with the same results. I'm thinking it's either the motherboard or the hard drive. Any suggestions?
    "ohno",
    Hello... Take a look at the motherboard if there are any bulging capacitors ( especially on their top's) ..This is a common problem with older PC's .If you have some (or one) they could load down your power supply ..or even prevent the proper voltage from developing ..If this is the case you would need to replace them...or have them replaced depending on your experience level ...(not a job for beginners) As far as the Hard Drive...when you boot ( or try to) can you get into BIOS? If so Enter boot menu on.... my PC it's "Esc", and see if the HD shows up in the Que. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I've come in a bit late on this; apologies if that's so, but the OP hasn't indicated if a solution has been found.
    It does sound like a power supply issue, but recently a friend had a similar problem. I found that the heatsink on the
    CPU was totally clogged with lint, dust etc (the stuff that's floating around in the air) and the CPU fan couldn't push
    air thru the heatsink. On cleaning the heatsink & fan the problem disappeared. It was obviously overheating.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To All,

I just wanted to let everyone who is interested know that I was finally able to resolve my problem. I ran across a posting on a Dell Support forum where a user was having a problem similar to mine. They recommended unplugging power to ALL cards and devices simultaneously, plus disconnecting all devices from the motherboard, then trying to boot up. Previously, I had disconnected each card or device individually, which did not reveal anything.

However, taking the entire machine down to "ground zero" finally resulted in the hoped-for "one-beep" on boot-up. I then began to reinstall components until I found one which caused the boot-up beep to stop - the graphics card. I was able to repeat this behavior 3-4 times, so felt like I was on to something. I replaced the card yesterday and things now work fine.

So, for my situation, the key was unplugging EVERYTHING except power to the motherboard, then building the thing back up from there. Unplugging individual devices was not sufficient to reveal the bad component.

Thanks to all for all your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting your solution.

Joe