Thanks

Bring back the Start Orb in Win 8 CP

We all knew a method would be found. ZDNet has an article on the how. This is a two step process and references 2 separate articles for this process.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, I haven't tried this one yet, but it is not for the masses I suspect.

The article makes it clear that the ViStart tool comes bundled with potentially unwanted programs, including the Babylon Toolbar - which is, from some accounts, not a straight forward and innocuous browser toolbar and removal is not easy.

Apparently you can disable the installation of the 3rd party bundled software, but just to be clear, the Babylon Toolbar has been flagged by some AV software, so as the article says: be careful.

Thanks
    I haven't tried it either, and did notice the warning as well. I know a few people who will not try Win 8 CP without the Start Orb. For those, this might be an option. I actually am getting used to the way things are working without the Start Orb. I have been using just Win 8 CP today and do plan on doing so for several further days to see how things go. I did find an easy way to get rid of the Metro IE 10 very easily and did so (posted here). This change works well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    OK, I did install the ViStart app I linked in post #1. You definitely do have to uncheck the Babylon Toolbar and Decline both this toolbar and RegClean Pro S/W (you do have to actually decline them both as well as uncheck Babylon) Win 8 CP also raises a warning about running this S/W which you have to say to run anyway. (I would definitely recommend creating a full Image prior to installing this app). You do get a Win 7 like Start Orb, without quite the full ability to right click and pin apps. That is unfortunate. I also like to change my Control Panel link to a menu and cannot with this, but it does give a semblance to Win 7.

ViStart.jpg ViStart2.jpg

My Taskbar was already unlocked so I did not have to follow the second step mentioned in the article. What you see here is what mine looked like right after the install.

For those that can't live with out the Start Orb this might be just the ticket.

This is the correct download button:

Correctvistartdownload.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-03-04 at 17:19.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    To go to Metro after installing ViStart you have to go through the Charms. The Win Key alone brings up the Start Menu installed by ViStart. The Systems Management Menu, Win + X, still works fine as does most other Win 8 CP features. This app appears to just add the Start Orb like capabilities. Very Win 7 like but not exact. When you first boot into Win 8 CP, the Metro UI comes up and you have to go to the Desktop. After going to the Desktop, the ViStart app then starts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, but if you're intent on turning it back into Win7, why bother? Just don't install it.

I think what most people haven't figured out is that the Start screen is the start menu. It's just bigger (and, IMO, better).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The more I use and customize the new Start Screen, the less I feel the need to have a Start Menu.
    Chuck

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisd3 View Post
    Sorry, but if you're intent on turning it back into Win7, why bother? Just don't install it.

I think what most people haven't figured out is that the Start screen is the start menu. It's just bigger (and, IMO, better).
    Hello chrisd3 and welcome to the Lounge.

I happen to agree with you that the Start Screen is the Start Menu. It works very well when one makes the mental leap that pressing the Windows key on Win 7 brings up the Start Menu and in Windows 8 will bring up the Start Screen with similar (if not potentially better) functionality.

However, to suggest that somebody should not install the Customer Preview just because they wish to play with settings is missing the point a little. The forums here are designed to communicate information, hints and tips. As such Ted was on the mark for posting a link to an article that illustrates a potential tweak.

I won't be installing it myself, but I don't think he should be censured for providing info to people who may wish to investigate. Indeed, as it turns out, without care, the links in the ZDNet article could lead to trouble which gives all the more reason to discuss.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't think I was "censuring" him. I just see whole lot of people who are installing Win8 and then going to a lot of trouble to turn it back into Win7. I don't see the point.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris, people are creatures of habit. We all hate change to some degree. Some of us more than others. Back when I took the green screen AS/400 terminals off of desks and put in Windows NT 4.0 boxes with a 5250 emulator, you would have thought that everyone experienced a terrible death in their families. My point is that it really doesn't surprise me that people want to turn it into Win7. The Metro interface is quite a shock at first.
    Chuck