2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I create a template with side by side text boxes in Word 2003?

Hi to all,
    I create a lot of lists in Word 2003 that only consist of a few words or even short URL's. (Windows Shortcuts, CD Titles, Movie Titles, Book Lists, Photoshop Sites, etc.....)
    This creates a lot of wasted space on a sheet of paper and ends up being multiple pages and a waste of paper when printed.
    I have used the Word program for years but only for simple letters and memos and I am unfamiliar with macros, text boxes, tables, and most of its many capabilities.

I would like to set up a template that consists of space for a Title block at the top with 2 side-by-side text boxes separated by a vertical line covering most of the rest of the page, with an area at the bottom to insert a footer block where I can insert a page number.
    I would like the text to flow from the left box to right box especially when I alphabetically insert additional text items.
    If my list is longer than will fit on one page I would also like the text to flow to boxes on additional pages.

Is this all possible with basic Word capabilities without needing to create macros or involving other types of programming that is beyond my level of expertise?

Is there an easy to follow tutorial on how to do this anywhere on the internet, or if this is a simple procedure can someone tell me how to accomplish this task? I say simple because please remember I am not that well versed in the intricacies of the program.

And even carrying this to extreme can the items be consecutively numbered?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Respectfully,

Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    GG,

Sounds to me like all you need is a 2 Column layout. This will autoflow the text as you requested between columns and pages. Word already includes the Footer block just select Insert, Header/Footer the insert the Field code for Page numbers in the footer.

The attached sample shows what I'm talking about. The text was inserted with the =rand(5,25) command and can be deleted w/o affecting the setup of the document.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-03-04 at 14:11.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2012-03-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Retired Geek,

Thank you ever so much for your speedy reply.

I downloaded and installed your template and it worked perfectly; even though when it installed I received a notice that not everything was going to install properly (?).
    I went into View>Header And Footer and put in my new Title and changed the header block information to Arial Font, 14, Bold and Blue, centered it across the page and also put a line under it. I
    also moved the Page information in the Footer from the center to the right side of the page and put a horizontal line above it. Everything was easy for me to do once you set up the basic format. Now I have it exactly like I wanted it to look.

Again, Thank you for taking the time to help me with my problem. Respectfully, Graphics Guy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    GG,

You're most welcome, glad to be of assistance.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs