New Lounger
    Thanks

Different size for same file

Windows XP Professional and Office 2007

The .pst file (Personal folder file) used by my Outlook 2007 is in disc 'D', not in 'C'.

Why is it that if I "size" the "Personal Folders folder", which is on top of Outlook's folders column (Outlook > Personal Folders > Properties > Folder size), its size is 1.57 GB, but if I "size" the Personal Folders File.pst in disc 'D' (D:/ > Personal folders file.pst > Properties) I got 3.72 GB?

Compacting the second is not solution. Before compacting it minutes ago its size was 4.15 GB.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Madgri,

Looks like it might be a problem with how Outlook measures the file since I have the same problem.
    OutlookPSTSize.JPG
    I added up the numbers for the individual folders and they were almost twice as much as the total shown in the dialog box which turns out to be more that Explores shows by about 25% go figure.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. It seems to me a very abnormal thing that I don't expect from Outlook.

Maybe only solution is to export the Personal Folders folder so that I can get in disc 'D' a much smaller file.... and loosing the folder's settings since using Windows XP, Office 2007 doesn't allow to save settings like Outlook 2003 does.

A solution could be to be able to modify the default Outlook 2007 settings, or Office 2007 settings, but nobody has told me how to do that, if possible at all.

Thanks
    The PST will also include calendar, tasks, sent items etc, which may not be "under" the personal folders perhaps?
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pccoyle.

I think that "Personal folders" folder couldn not include something that "Personal folders.pst" does, like calendar, contacts, and folders configuration (settings). I doubt that tasks and sent items are included in that list, but even if all items you mention were included in the .pst file, this doesn't justify the enormous difference in size: 1.57 vs 3.72 GB.

What has surprised to me is that even the Ourlook forum moderators (Sanish version) have no answer at all, that is, they don't know reason for the difference, and, which is even worse, they dindn't know that such a difference exist!

Is it kind of Microsoft trick?

Thanks
    Hi madgri,

the .PST file is a database, see if this link provides the answer to your query. http://www.office-outlook.com/outloo...82/#msg_566282
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, PCcoyle. This guy has/had same problem than me, difference is that I COMPACTED THE .PST FILE --I use to do it every Saturday-- and the figures I provided were taken after compacting.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Different size for same file

Different size for same file Could it be that Outlook reports the actual size of the data and windows reports the size of the sectors used by the PST file? The results of my Outlook 2003 data on Win7 on a 350G hard drive (I am not sure of the sector size) is 360M reported by Outlook and 419M reported by Windows which is a lower % difference than yours. Outlook might even have fixed field sizes for pieces of data. To test this, you could move the PST to a different size hard drive or partition.

Windows XP Professional and Office 2007

The .pst file (Personal folder file) used by my Outlook 2007 is in disc 'D', not in 'C'.

Why is it that if I "size" the "Personal Folders folder", which is on top of Outlook's folders column (Outlook > Personal Folders > Properties > Folder size), its size is 1.57 GB, but if I "size" the Personal Folders File.pst in disc 'D' (D:/ > Personal folders file.pst > Properties) I got 3.72 GB?