Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't open Java Control Panel, Can't uninstall

Need help on this - I'm at a loss to figure it out.

Late last week something corrupted my Java ... maybe something I did but unforunately didn't notice the problem until later and can't remember what I might have been doing.

I noticed it when I went to a web site that I use that requires Java to place orders and it wasn't working. I tried to download the latest version from the Java site and it wouldn't install. I went to Control Panel to open the Java Control Panel and just got a registry error message. Add/Remove Programs won't uninstall the old version either because it can't find a file. So I'm stuck ... can't uninstall and can't install.

I even tried System Restore and rolled back to a month ago and that didn't change anything. Here are some screen captures I've posted of the messages, etc. One message I didn't include in the screen captures is after clicking OK in the last shot (Windows Installer) I get the message "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." After which I have to cancel out.

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try using the free version of Revo Uninstaller to clean up your Java install. Then reinstall it.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe

Thanks for the reply - I forgot to mention that I'd also tried using JavaRa to remove Java (saw that somewhere when I Googled my problem) and that didn't do squat.

Anyway I downloaded Revo Uninstaller and started to use it until I got to the screen showing a large number of registry items and got nervous so I cancelled out pending some more advice. Here is a PDF of screen shots showing the steps as I went through it.

Just wanted to confirm if I am supposed to delete all the bolded items? There are a lot of them. I looked at a few of the bold items and some clearly mentioned Java and some others didn't mention Java by name. So I wasn't sure what I should do at that point.

Rod

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd delete those registry entries. All you need do is click "Select All". If you are nervous about it make a system backup before attempting this. Then you will have a point to which you can return if disaster strikes.

If you are going to reinstall Java most if not all of those registry entries will be recreated.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Roderick (2012-03-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe

Ran Revo today as you suggested, then reinstalled latest Java and everything now is working fine. This Revo is definitely a keeper in my "toolbox". Might need it again sometime.

Rod

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Java UnInstall

Win 7 Pro 64bit SP1.
    Had a similar problem. Read Windows Secrets article advising uninstall java.
    Control Panel showed Java(32) icon.
    Windows Add/Remove did not list any Java.
    Ditto Revo Uninstall.
    Tried Revo Hunter Mode--covered the icon--no Joy
    Backed up Registry.
    Opened RegEdit > Find "Java" > Find next...
    Manually deleted ~ 200 entries
    Problem solved (the hard way) =)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem and was able to use one of Microsoft's Mr. Fixit tools to remove the bad entries. I ran the Mr. Fixit tool at http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Pr..._and_Uninstall as Administrator to completely uninstall the old version of JAVA that was causing the issue. Then reinstalled from the JAVA website. (Windows 7)