New Lounger
    Thanks

Switching from Win7 64 to 32

My husband bought me a new computer that had installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1.

I have re-installed most of my programs on it, but am having trouble with my 32bit programs not working.
    I also have my drives from my XP Pro on an external HD so I can get to my files.

Is there a way he can get my 32bit programs to run again? We have a copy of Win7 Home Premium x32.

Would we have to install that and remove the x64? does that mean I have to re-install everything again?

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by happylady View Post

I have re-installed most of my programs on it, but am having trouble with my 32bit programs not working.
    I also have my drives from my XP Pro on an external HD so I can get to my files.

Is there a way he can get my 32bit programs to run again? We have a copy of Win7 Home Premium x32.
    Happy,
    Hello... If you switch back to "7" \ 32 you will have to re-install your programs ..However there is another way .. You can "Dual Boot" XP and Windows 7 \ 64 ... Many on this forum do this as well ...Basically you would have to go through a few steps to do this ...Quick thumbnail....
    1. Download and install a free program called EasyBCD ...install it on your "7-64" Handles the "Dual Booting thing"
    2. Make a complete "OS Image" of your present system...Just for.... "In-case"
    3. Create a 2nd Partition on you Hard Drive.
    4. Install XP on to the new partition
    5. Install EasyBCD...to handle the "dual boot thing" on your XP OS. If you wish to do this ..post back, there are many here that can help you with this. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

It is rather rare for 32 bit apps being unable to run in x64 Windows 7. Are those special apps in anyway? Can you provide any info on which apps this is happening with?

Going back to Windows 32 bits means reinstalling everything, yes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried installing your programs in compatibility mode?
    1. Right click on the programs exe file and select properties
    2. Select the compatibility tab
    3. Put a check mark in the compatibility mode section and choose windows XP from the drop down list
    4. Also put a check mark in the privilege section
    5. Click apply button

Now try installing the program with these settings. I always install my programs as administrator which again involves a right click on the program and selecting "run as admin".

Thanks
    Actually I have not found any 32 Bit apps that are not working with my 64 Bit Win 7. I would like to know which apps they are as well. There may be other issues at work here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    How are you determing that they are 32-bit apps?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There should be two program folders in "C" drive one "program files" which run the 64bit programs and one "program files (X86)" which run the 32bit programs. Check to make sure you have these.
    Also check any 32bit programs are actually installed into the (x86) folder. May have to set this during install but normally win 7 does this for you.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-03-10 at 11:50.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.