New Lounger
    Thanks

Can Win SBS 11 E be set up as a workgroup?

I would like to install Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials as only a Workgroup. I do not need active directory, DNS or DHCP services, nor do I want it to create a domain. Is this at all possible?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In theory, I think you could demote the SBS installation and then remove it from a domain. However, I think you would need to domain join it first during the installation and then remove it later.

In practice though, I think you will be creating much more work for yourself and the resulting installation my end up a nightmare to manage.

Without AD, DNS or DHCP, it might be worthwhile thinking about what server roles and features you do you want to use. Then consider if there is a better way of implementing them rather than using a crippled Server installation. For example, if all you need is a simple network storage location, then maybe a simple NAS box connected to a workgroup would do the trick.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Tinto Tech. So far I can't find any way around setting up a domain during the installation. I agree that it will probably be more grief to demote it later; hence, I'll set up the domain and convert all the workstations to that domain. Although from what I've read that also does not often go very smoothly. Just as a follow up: the installation is in a small office with 15 computers, therefore a server OS is required. They were attached to a machine running Server 2003, which was functioning solely as a file server on a workgroup. Everything ran fine until a short blew out the motherboard. Although the pricing on Essentials is a good deal, once again Microsoft has dumbed it down so much as to be selling us crippleware!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    hikesalot,

if there are 15 machines in the office, using an SBS installation with AD, DNS, DHCP, plus Exchange, VPN etc, etc makes a lot of sense.

Creating a domain and installing the SBS is relatively straightforward following the wizards, and there are plenty of resources available to assist if you need it. Personally I would (and have) installed SBS in situations like these, but it is dependendant on your preferences: if you feel SBS is not for you, change to a peer-to-peep topology and look at network resources such as NAS, or even install Server 2008 R2 on the workgroup to act as a simple file server.

A final thought: the biggest hurdle you may face with an SBS is that your client PC's need to be running a business class OS such as XP Pro, Vista Business or Win7 Pro in order to join the domain. That sticking point may force you down the route of a peer-to-peer network in which case you don't need the SBS.