2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start Multilevel list with 1.1. instead of 1.

I've looked for this option, but can not find. I would like to start my new defined multilevel list with 1.1. instead of 1.

Is this possible?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes it is possible. It is analogous to starting a list with "Appendix 1." and is done simply by typing the extra digit into the format box.

The trick will be which 1 is going to increment as you add list items - this pattern doesn't make much sense.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, if the "1.1" is level 2 numbering and the level 1 number for Heading 1 is formatted as hidden and follow number with is set to nothing (so the heading text will start at the margin).

Another possible way is to use the built-in numbering and then manually set numbering values. Note, though, that set number values is direct formatting that would be lost whenever styles are reapplied.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-03-06 at 01:06.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments.

@Pam,
    I've searched, but can't seem to find where to set Heading 1 as hidden and the "follow number with". Also, if my numbers will be 1.1., 1.1.1., 1.1.1.1. etc, how do I set the wrapping and tabs for the sentence. I would like the first line of the sentence to be tabbed equal distance from the numbering with the second line of the sentence aligned left.

Any thoughts or direction to a site that contains a lot of this info?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's not the heading itself but the number that must be hidden. In the define new multilevel list dialog, click the font button. The check box for Hidden is there.

It now sounds like you are talking about lists of paragraph text and not headings that you want to number starting at 1.1. You'll need to define a style that will trigger a the change from 1.1... to 2.1... I've attached a sample of what I described, but for text lists. When you view the page with show/hide turned off (click the to toggle it), you won't see a number on the paragraphs in the List Intro style.

Because this is a very customized list, I recommend that you define a list style instead of just a multilevel list. (Same thing, but the list style can be named, saved, and copied/moved to other documents.) I know all of this sounds complicated.

Pam
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

jrb (2012-03-06)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I'm thinking the light bulb on my part is getting a little bit brighter. I have been playing around with the Define New List Style, but getting it right for my requirements is a learning challenge but I feel I'm getting much closer thanks to your guidance

If I am going to create a TOC, I would probably need to stick with Heading within my list...is this correct?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, if your list is the heading structure (and is not a "text" list), then the styles you should link to your multilevel list are the heading styles. The procedure to hide the numbering from the first numbering level is the same. But if you just want say Chapter 1 at the beginning of heading 1, type "Chapter " before the number in level 1's Enter formatting for number box.

It really is good to learn how to create multilevel lists from scratch. That's how you see what's there and what can be customized and that's how you can learn to recognize the likely cause of misnumbering. But once you do, you'll probably never have to do it again. Because if you first apply one of the built-in lists from the list library, modifying* it for your list requirements is a snap. Why? Because, depending on the icon you choose, all the heading links, indents, and, more important, restart afters and number fields are out-of-the box correct. So no more heading 4 numbers continuing after a heading 3. And no more 1.2.3 when it should be 1.3.2.

*"Modifying" equals clicking the multilevel list icon again and then clicking either Define new multilevel list or Define new list style to get to the dialogs that have all of the settings of last-applied or "current" list.

Anyway, good luck.
    Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2012-03-07 at 19:34.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PamCaswell For This Useful Post:

jrb (2012-03-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Pam, building the multilevel list from scratch is the way to learn. Sure appreciate the steer in the right direction.