Thread: Memory slots

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory slots

I'm sure the answer to this is out there but I haven't been able to find it. I've looked on some manufacturers web sites and this is not answered in their specs. The new motherboards that I've looked at (low to mid range) have two memory slots and have a maximum memory capacity of from 8 to 32 GB. My question is: do both slots have to be populated simultaneously and, if so, do they have to be populated with the same size dimm? Is this consistent or does it vary from board to board?

I think the answers are no and no. I'm asking because the combo kits that I'm looking at all include 2 sticks of the same size memory. This, of course, fills up both slots and if I wanted to upgrade later I would have to totally replace one or both sticks instead of just adding one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Yobil,

I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to hardware but I'll try to answer your question. AFAIK if you want the best memory performance you want to populate both slots, if you populate both, with the exact same modules. This is because most boards today, and you can check for this spec, use Dual Channel Memory and to work it's fastest it needs the exact same memory modules in both slots. I know this is a simplistic answer and I'm sure the Hardware guys here will provide you with as much technical info as you need.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Go to Crucial.com, fill in your motherboard manufacturer and model number and you will find all the upgrade options available including whether you have dual channel as Retired Geek described.

Jerry

Thanks
    Generally the answer is no...on both questions, but each individual board will have a spec sheet on it that will explain the details of how the memory should be populated.

Thanks
    To further emphasize the answer. I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron Laptop for my granddaughter and it has 6 GB of Ram. It has 1 4 GB stick and 1 2 GB stick, both different manufacturers. Same speed, firing sequence (if that's the proper terminology), frequency, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    A few basic memory rules:

Optimally all the memory populated on the board ought to be of the same type/speed, no mis-matching.
    Best purchased as a full set from a single manufacturer, then upgraded in it's entirety when replacement is needed, and not adding on as needed.

Reaserch your board for compatibilities first, as Jerry points out, many memory vendors will offer this service with most boards.
    Read the specs, or whitesheet, of your motherboard or any prospective candidate motherboard you are looking at to get a fuller picture
    of it's memory related capacities and nuances.