3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

install w/o CD-ROM (2000 w/o SR)

I have a new stand alone portable and want to transfer office to it. The portable does not have a CD-ROM drive. I tried to copy the installed version from my desktop using a zip disk, but Word won't run when I do that. I checked the MS Knowledgebase but couldn't find anything about doing this. Is there a manual way I can set some parameters after I copy over the files? Thanks!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: install w/o CD-ROM (2000 w/o SR)

Microsoft did everything to make copying the installed version to another computer near to impossible, even when though it is legal.
    Copy your installation CD to the ZIP disk, or connect your portable to another computer with CD-ROM through the network, or copy installation files from CD to your portable's hard drive some other way and install Office from there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's not a question of legality, but that there are files that need in certain locations and registry entries created. in short, it needs installed, not just copied like some old programs.

Thanks

Any way you can network the portable with your desktop? (e.g., two network adapters and a crossover cable) You then could use the CD in the desktop to install from. You'll need to install everything to disk though, since you'll be out of luck if Office wants to install "on demand" in the future.