Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail-Font Settings

My OS is Win 7 Pro 64 bit with IE9 and all updates installed.

I have the latest version of Windows Live Mail, and would like to know what settings fellow Loungers recommend in the Read options for Fonts, and International Settings.

The reason I ask is that I have been having problems with quote marks. Whenever I inserted quote marks, single or double, in an outgoing email the word with the quote mark(s) became garbled. The same happened with incoming emails containing quote marks.My local computer tech seemed to have solved the problem by changing the settings for Fonts,including International settings, but the problem has returned and the local tech is away on holiday.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Hi Roy
    These are the settings I use.

Capture.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks.

I have changed my font settings to match yours, and will check and report back whether or not this solves the quote marks problem.

One thing I noticed in the Read pane in your attachment. The reference to "Show Tool Tips.....". This doesn't appear on my machine.

Best regards, Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again Roderunner,

The change didn't solve the problem I'm sorry to say.I rebooted after making the change, but that didn't make any difference.

I should have said in my original post that the problem first occurred in both outging and incoming emails, but currently it only happens in incoming messages, including those where the problem was originally solved when the local tech changed my font settings.

What do you have under International Read Settings?

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again Roderunner,

The change didn't solve the problem I'm sorry to say.I rebooted after making the change, but that didn't make any difference.

I should have said in my original post that the problem first occurred in both outgoing and incoming emails, but currently it only happens in incoming messages, including those where the problem was originally solved when the local tech changed my font settings.

What do you have under International Read Settings?

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Hi Roy, my 'Compose' font is Segoe UI Semibold. I use WLM 2009

a.JPG

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,thanks again but I still have the same problem with incoming messages.(I use WLM 2011).
    Do you have any other ideas?

Regards, Roy

Thanks
    Roy
    It could be the key board, try the on screen one.

RR.JPG

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Thanks for staying with me.

I can access the on screen keyboard easily, but I can't see what difference using it would make to the quote mark problem with incoming emails.Am I missing something?

One other odd thing that's happening. I use a solid black theme, but when I open some emails, from Tech Republic for example, although the desktop background remains solid black, the majority of the taskbar, i.e. apart from a small area on the left and right hand side, changes to a lightish blue. I don't know why, and don't know whether this is related to the quote marks problem.

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    Roy
    I asked you to use the onscreen key board to test if the fault was in the main key board. will answer more later.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

The quote mark problem has been solved.I thought it hadn't been because when the local computer tech changed my Font settings the garbled text in an earlier email message, coincidentally from that tech, was unscrambled, whereas when the garbling subsequently reappeared in the same message, leading me to create this post and change my Font settings to match yours, the garbled text in that message remained garbled. However, I sent an email containing text in quotes to myself and it displayed normally. Because I like things on my computer to be neat and tidy I dragged a copy of the garbled email to a text file, changed the file extension from .eml to .txt and then edited the garbled text to display normally. I then deleted the original email, changed the file extension of the message I had edited back to .eml and dragged a copy back to the relevant email storage folder, where it now opens and displays normally.

That just leaves the question of the changing colour of the majority of the taskbar, and one other oddity. I created a shortcut to Windows Secrets Forums, showing the lizard icon, and put it on my desktop. However, when I click it the spinning circle appears alongside the cursor and just carries on spinning. When I then right click my desktop and click the "Kill not responding tasks" option the spinning stops and the Windows Secrets Forums page opens normally.I assume I did someting wrong when I created the shotcut, but don't know what.

Help regarding the taskbar colour change and the shortcut would be appreciated, and meantime sincere thanks for your time and trouble helping me.

Regards, Roy

Thanks
    Roy
    WS Lounge should be in your favourites/bookmarks of your browser.
    Post an image of your taskbar please. Make an Image and post it.pdf

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner,

Thanks again,

In the process of taking the screenshot I realised what was happening to the taskbar. The apparent colour change was caused by the fact that the email messages were overlapping the taskbar, and the transparency effect where the overlapping occurred made it look as though the overlapped area had changed colour.I will now kick myself a few times for not realising this in the first place!

Best regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    Some one once told me how to find the culprit of the error was to look in a mirror.

haha.gif

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Point taken!

Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast