Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question "Page not found" Error in IE9?

Weird and puzzling ... all of a sudden I get the "page not found" error when I try to access our web site, either via typing in the URL or clicking on the link in a Google search. It just started this afternoon and only on my PC. On my laptop, no problem. A friend who is testing the site for us got the same error on IE today as well. I've tried clearing the cache, closing and reopening IE ... nothing has helped.

The inconsistency of the issue is especially puzzling.

Any Lounger able to shed some light on this one? I hope!

Thanks,

Linda
    Windows 7, SP1

Thanks
    Might also try to Flush the DNS cache. Did you clear the history and cookies using Internet Options? How about trying CCleaner to clear the Temp Internet Files? Then reboot after doing above.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted, for your super fast help! Will try your suggestions and post back with results.

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again Ted,

Okay, still not sure which worked, but I've got the page opening fine in IE again. Thank you.

Any ideas on another issue a "testing colleague" is having with IE? Our site has a demo slide show that crashes his IE9 whenever he tries to open it. This does not happen on my PC or laptop. He runs IE9 on a 64-bit Windows installed Sony Vaio laptop. I had him try it in Chrome and he said the demo page works on Chrome ('Exit' button doesn't work and you can't close the window, but I think that's a whole other issue).

What puzzles me is that we can't seem to reproduce the issue he's having on our machines. Of course, this makes me very nervous as we've just launched the site (and the product) ... not so good to have all these tech-y issues arise when I don't know how to tell people to fix them! Hopefully, you or the other Lounge gurus can help.

Yours in controlled panic,

Linda

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This would be a lot easier if you could tell us which page URLs are causing problems. I'm using IE9 via 64-bit Windows 7 on a Sony Vaio laptop, so I could try to reproduce.

But without seeing the page, we can only guess wildly.

Does the slide show use Adobe Flash?

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, thanks so much. Wonderful you have the exact same setup! The site URL is www.mygoforthegreen.com. The issue is occurring on the Practice
    page. If you click on "Try the Demo" under the image, that's where the issue occurs.

Slides were not created in Flash.

Really appreciate you taking a look!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-03-07 at 14:02. Reason: Answered Flash question.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Bruce, thanks so much. Wonderful you have the exact same setup! The site URL is www.mygoforthegreen.com. The issue is occurring on the Practice
    page. If you click on "Try the Demo" under the image, that's where the issue occurs.

Slides were not created in Flash.

Really appreciate you taking a look!

Linda
    The practice page and demo work fine for me in IE9/Win 7 Pro on a Sony Vaio laptop. I do have to click my content filtering button in the address bar to turn off ActiveX filtering for your site before it will work, so that's a possible issue for your testing colleague (does his IE9 really crash totally?) All six pages work fine, but your animations are being displayed by Adobe Flash player even if they were compiled in something else, so the lack of a recently installed Flash player could also account for page failures.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-03-07 at 18:30. Reason: is/in typo

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Fabulous information, Bruce. I'm passing it on now to our testing colleague to see if he can try your solutions. I hadn't realized that Adobe Flash was involved in displaying the slide show, and agree that Flash Player updating could help, given that helpful piece of information.

Again, many, many thanks. This Lounge has been my life (and sanity!) saver for years, thanks to people like you. Will post back and let you know results.

With appreciation,

Linda

Thanks
    Well I'm glad I was able to help get your page working again and I am glad Bruce was able to help with the other problem because I was at a loss with that one.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, just heard back from our tester. Here's his report:

I tried all that but it still crashes for me (shuts down IE9 and restarts the application after the 'error')...All my other software (flash) is up to date. Might just be me, or something else in my set up that it doesn't get along with so it sounds like I'm an outlier.

Any further thoughts re. other things I can suggest to him?

Thanks for the time you're spending on this.

Linda