Thread: Network Math?

Thanks

Network Math?

Hi All,

What I'd like to know is how fast my Internet connection has to be before I need to move from a 100Mb router to a Giga-byte router? I've purchased an 8 port Giga-byte switch to connect everything in the network and it will be connected to the 100Mb router. The only thing I'm going to connect directly to the router will be the BlueRay player for streaming NetFlix and the occasional Wi-Fi connection of a guest and our cell phones. So at what point is my cable connection fast enough that I get more performance by investing in a Giga-byte router?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    What is your cable connection speed? In general, you can't exceed that theoretical maximum. In practice your speed is usually less than the maximum. You also have to take into consideration usage. You may be able to "burst" close to the max if you have several data heavy streaming type activities going on at once. Since installing a new router is not a big deal unless you just absolutely want to buy a new router I'd just leave it be until you start seeing slowdowns, connectivity problems, or frequent download failures.

I was told by a Charter tech that they are rolling out new hardware this spring that uses an exisiting wireless network to connect up to 3 TVs to to one main box that is wired. He said you need at least a 15 meg. connection which should be more than enough for 4 TVs plus most normal computer activity.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

was told by a Charter tech that they are rolling out new hardware this spring that uses an exisiting wireless network to connect up to 3 TVs to to one main box that is wired. He said you need at least a 15 meg. connection which should be more than enough for 4 TVs plus most normal computer activity.
    So according to that a 100Mb Router is more than enough to handle 4 TV + normal computer traffic?

I ran some test on the dlsreports site following is a summary of the tests and then the raw results.

SpeedChart.JPG

Manning, SC to Parsippany, NJ: 733 Miles
    Speed Test #101135722 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2012-03-07 09:16:00 EST
    Download: 9694 (Kbps)
    Upload: 961 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 1183.3 down 117.3 up
    Tested by server: 56 java
    User: 2 @ dslreports.com
    User's DNS: mindspring.com
    Compared to the average of 29 tests from mindspring.com:
    * download is 57% better, upload is 1% worse

Manning SC to Los Angles CA: 1931 Miles
    Speed Test #101135757 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2012-03-07 09:20:04 EST
    Download: 4953 (Kbps)
    Upload: 947 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 604.6 down 115.6 up
    Tested by server: 54 java
    * download is 19% worse, upload is 2% worse

Manning, SC to Palo Alto, CA: 2120 Miles
    Speed Test #101135765 by dslreports.com
    Run: 2012-03-07 09:21:49 EST
    Download: 4662 (Kbps)
    Upload: 953 (Kbps)
    In kilobytes per second: 569.1 down 116.4 up
    Tested by server: 55 java
    * download is 24% worse, upload is 2% worse

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    So according to that a 100Mb Router is more than enough to handle 4 TV + normal computer traffic?
    That is what I was told. I'm not sure I believe it. I'm also not sure I got all the details from him. There could be many caveats. I'm going to be checking with Charter next month to see how to get in line for this though.

Joe

Thanks
    Hey again all,

I received my new Trend Net TEG-580G 8 port giga-byte switch today. It's now all setup and working just fine. Here's my network map.
    NetworkMap.JPG

It's interesting that neither of the 2 switches show up in the map but then since they are not really doing much except forwarding I can see why. I have everything with the exception of my 2 older desktops (Dell 9100, currently my Win 8 CP & Ubuntu test machine, and an old Dell 2400, XP Platform for testing stuff) on the Trend Data giga-byte switch. The two exceptions are on a 10/100 Linksys 5 port switch attached to the Trend Data switch. There is one other exception and that's my BlueRay player which is hooked directly to the router, saw no need to route it through the switch & I was out of ports anyway! I know it's not backed by any conclusive test data but operations on the local net seem much faster even though only my wife's Dell XPS 14z has a giga-byte NIC. Where I really notice it is opening files on my WD-NetCenter NAS. Even though the WD only has a 10/100 NIC it sure opens folders faster than it used to. Maybe this due to the fact that it's no longer contending with other network traffic as it used to be connected directly to the router. In any event I'm really happy with the purchase and the bang-for-the-buck I got out of it. I also got to retire the second linksys router I was using as a switch just to get extra ports. For now the purchase of a new giga-byte router is on hold.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    I bought a Gigabit router when I upgraded my theoretical cable download speed to 120 Mbit. No matter how many computers you have, the internet connection speed is the limiting factor, for outside access. With the gigabit switch, all your internal traffic can be done at gigabit rates, if your computers are capable.

TV traffic does not depend on your router. It's not even needed for TV.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    TV traffic does not depend on your router. It's not even needed for TV.
    It will in my case once my cable provider starts rolling out new hardware. One cable box on the main TV (whichever I decide) will be connected to cable company outside world. The main box and remaining cable boxes on up to three other TVs will use my wireless network to connect the other cable boxes. That way the cable company does not have to worry about stringing cable to new locations in the house. This is all very sketchy, preliminary information from a tech. It may all turn out differently in practice.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    It will in my case once my cable provider starts rolling out new hardware. One cable box on the main TV (whichever I decide) will be connected to cable company outside world. The main box and remaining cable boxes on up to three other TVs will use my wireless network to connect the other cable boxes. That way the cable company does not have to worry about stringing cable to new locations in the house. This is all very sketchy, preliminary information from a tech. It may all turn out differently in practice.

Joe
    But you have a cable modem that connects to whatever device the company uses, right? And then your router connects to your modem or you modem also includes routing functions?

I am not totally aware of the technology used. I know nothing had to change on my setup to upgrade from the regular 30 Mbit I had before to the 120 Mbit I have now, except for the cable modem. I then switched my router to a gigabit one.

It's surprising that they use your wireless network to connect the different boxes. What are you required to have, 811.n?

Thanks
    Rui,

The TV does depend on it when you're using NetFlix streaming. Also, why I posted the original question Internet speeds are measured in BITS while Routers & Switches are measured in Bytes. So 120Mbit = 15 MByte so why would I need a giga-byte router when my 100 Mb router is already 7 times faster than the internet? Am I missing something here? I sure wish I had a 120Mbit connection instead of the lousy 9.6 Mbits I'm getting.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    RG,

I suppose Netflix uses your internet connection, too, since you talk about streaming. It's just another "app" using it.

I think all networking equipment uses the same measure, bit/s, RG. So you have 10 Mbit, 100 Mbit, 1 Gbit routers and switches.

The 120 Mbit thing is not too bad. I get 90 to 95 Mbit to my provider's servers, and I generally I get good speeds from fast servers. Downloading ISOs from Microsoft's servers is usually very fast. I can get a 3 GB ISO in a few minutes, usually. It's normal to get 2 MBytes/s + and sometimes I can even get over 3 MB/s .

Thanks
    Rui,

My BAD! You are correct it's all in Mega/Giga BITS. I googled the switch I just got and it confirmed it.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hey again all,

I received my new Trend Net TEG-580G 8 port giga-byte switch today. It's now all setup and working just fine. Here's my network map.
    NetworkMap.JPG

It's interesting that neither of the 2 switches show up in the map but then since they are not really doing much except forwarding I can see why. I have everything with the exception of my 2 older desktops (Dell 9100, currently my Win 8 CP & Ubuntu test machine, and an old Dell 2400, XP Platform for testing stuff) on the Trend Data giga-byte switch. The two exceptions are on a 10/100 Linksys 5 port switch attached to the Trend Data switch. There is one other exception and that's my BlueRay player which is hooked directly to the router, saw no need to route it through the switch & I was out of ports anyway! I know it's not backed by any conclusive test data but operations on the local net seem much faster even though only my wife's Dell XPS 14z has a giga-byte NIC. Where I really notice it is opening files on my WD-NetCenter NAS. Even though the WD only has a 10/100 NIC it sure opens folders faster than it used to. Maybe this due to the fact that it's no longer contending with other network traffic as it used to be connected directly to the router. In any event I'm really happy with the purchase and the bang-for-the-buck I got out of it. I also got to retire the second linksys router I was using as a switch just to get extra ports. For now the purchase of a new giga-byte router is on hold.
    Just a quick side comment, How do you keep it all straight, what with the typing with both hands and feet and talking on the SII? Can you see all screens at once? Whew!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    But you have a cable modem that connects to whatever device the company uses, right? And then your router connects to your modem or you modem also includes routing functions?

I am not totally aware of the technology used. I know nothing had to change on my setup to upgrade from the regular 30 Mbit I had before to the 120 Mbit I have now, except for the cable modem. I then switched my router to a gigabit one.

It's surprising that they use your wireless network to connect the different boxes. What are you required to have, 811.n?
    The cable comes from the outside to a splitter. From the splitter, more cable goes to TVs and to the cable modem. My router is attached to the cable modem. I'm not sure about the wireless spec required but I've got a Gigabit router with 802.11n already. I'm not worried about it.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Just a quick side comment, How do you keep it all straight, what with the typing with both hands and feet and talking on the SII? Can you see all screens at once? Whew!
    Hey Ted have you seen the Hulu Plus commercial....that's me!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs