Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

A Paul Thurrott rant

Here's an interesting viewpoint - Windows 8 consumer preview: call for common sense.

I agree with several of his points. IMO, most people do themselves a disservice trying to make a new OS look and act just like the old OS. This is after all a beta version for all practical purposes. It is NOT feature complete. It is NOT meant to be a production environment. Many of the application programs lag the OS in development and will be further fleshed out in the release candidate version.

Remember, this version is meant to be poked, prodded, tested, etc. to get feedback and wring out bugs.

Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Doc Brown (2012-03-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An interesting read. My first few days with Win8 was not unlike most other people, wanting the traditional Start menu, and not at all liking the Metro interface for a desktop. But its starting to grow on me now. Once you get past the initial shock and learn how things work, its very useable. I still maintain that it is not the best interface for a desktop, but is certainly going to be excellent for a tablet (all the while keeping in mind that a lot can still change). Still, I started thinking how this may very well be a game changer. Years ago, Fujitsu had a convertable laptop/tablet. With Windows XP it was horrible. With Windows 8, something like this could add a whole new dimension to computing.
    Chuck

Thanks
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Paul Thurrott is an unabashed Microsoft fanboy, so i take anything he writes with a big grain of salt. He has written some very helpful articles but rarely if ever will take a stance contrary to Microsoft.

My usage of the Windows 8 CP is to evaluate it from the perspective of is it more useful than Windows 7 for getting my or my clients work done than Windows 7, not whether I can live with the way Microsoft thinks I should function. As it stands, I find windows 8 feel faster than Windows 7 and I have learned to tolerate its interface but spend most of my time in the desktop rather than Metro. I personally dislike the Metro apps I have tried. Mail is particularly clumsy to operate so I use Windows Live Mail and Outlook instead. The average non technical user moving from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 8 is going to be completely lost.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Paul Thurrott is an unabashed Microsoft fanboy, so i take anything he writes with a big grain of salt. He has written some very helpful articles but rarely if ever will take a stance contrary to Microsoft.

My usage of the Windows 8 CP is to evaluate it from the perspective of is it more useful than Windows 7 for getting my or my clients work done than Windows 7, not whether I can live with the way Microsoft thinks I should function. As it stands, I find windows 8 feel faster than Windows 7 and I have learned to tolerate its interface but spend most of my time in the desktop rather than Metro. I personally dislike the Metro apps I have tried. Mail is particularly clumsy to operate so I use Windows Live Mail and Outlook instead. The average non technical user moving from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 8 is going to be completely lost.

Jerry
    Honestly, I don't think you read Paul Thurrot enough, if you call him a fanboy. I read his stuff regularly, listen to the podcast he is part of weekly and there is a lot of criticism on MS options in several areas, too. I am not surprised of his opinions on Windows 8, though. To his credit, he defended something similar well before MS decided to have a Windows 8 like this.

You can disagree with him on a lot of stuff and I do on some stuff, but a fanboy he is not, IMHO.

Thanks
    Well, that hasn't been my experience. I admit, I haven't read his posts for awhile since I want more balanced sources.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    As it stands, I find windows 8 feel faster than Windows 7 and I have learned to tolerate its interface but spend most of my time in the desktop rather than Metro. I personally dislike the Metro apps I have tried. Mail is particularly clumsy to operate so I use Windows Live Mail and Outlook instead. The average non technical user moving from earlier versions of Windows to Windows 8 is going to be completely lost.
    Jerry
    The builtin Metro applications are behind the OS in terms of functionality. I'm sure they will be updated during the build process. The final version may have to be downloaded from the Microsoft store and not be included "in the box". Many business people may spend most of the time in the desktop rather than Metro.

If the non-technical people are going to use a touch device I think Metro will be very easy to get used to. With a mouse and keyboard there will be more adjustment required. People are very adaptable when they are motivated to be though. I'll reserve judgement until I see/hear some of my non-technical friends and relatives react.

If you have specifics about programs or functions provide feedback to Microsoft. They really do look at it and use it to help prioritize work.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Well, that hasn't been my experience. I admit, I haven't read his posts for awhile since I want more balanced sources.

Jerry
    I read or skim through all his posts and I rarely miss the podcasts (Windows Weekly), which are very interesting. Mary Jo Foley (from ZDNet) and Leo Laporte (from Twit) are his companions on the podcast and, believe me, there is a lot of criticism on Microsoft, whenever any of them feels it appropriate.

I do see Paul as a well informed and reliable source of information on the products he comments on. I usually like his stuff. Since the Windows 8 CP came out he has posted more than 30 articles on Windows 8. I follow a lot of technical publications and bloggers. I have not seen anyone provide such an in depth analysis of Windows 8.

Thanks
    I have also gotten many tips from Paul since Win 8 CP was released. I have also told at least 2 people who were ranting about bringing back the Start Orb (I realize I mentioned one of these apps, but have since uninstalled it and am not using it) to either go back to Win 7 or read about and use one of the 3rd party apps that have been discussed.

Folks this is a beta OS. It is meant to play with to see how it works and to find problems, then report those problems to MS, so please kindly do so. I am certain Paul has received hundreds of messages with these rants about the Start Orb. If I were him I would have published this rant much sooner than he did.

I will continue to read Paul and follow most of the advice he recommends.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Good article, I couldn't agree more with the gist of the rant.
    Paul Thurrott is often imbedded within Redmond, but he's no MS lackey he's just a quick and viral to criticize too.
    He's put out alot of very decent articles over the years and made some very objective constructive criticisms as well.